This Jaguar XK-E is ridiculously beautiful

Don’t be silly, it’s a Jaguar. That’s not purple, it’s aubergine.

7 Likes

E-Type?

YES. :grabby hands:

7 Likes

A relative of mine used to have Jags. I think he even owned an XK-E. He got tired though of getting to know the local Jag mechanic real well and dropping multiple hundreds of dollars on every trip to the shop.

3 Likes

tumblr_n62u108efL1qawvjfo4_1280

13 Likes

02_ken_und_letizia_adam_1964_sp

3 Likes

Early lightweight, please!

Classic Car Vintage GIF by Mecanicus

7 Likes

I love that movie too. The Jag mod reminds me of the 1962 Ferrari 250 GT “breadvan”.

10 Likes

there was a custom version with rear entrance…

There’s a tiny art-house cinema in Essen, Germany that has been showing Harold and Maude at least once a week since the movie was new (with a pause only during Covid lockdowns).

I watched it there once, and it was delightful. It had already been a favourite of mine for a couple decades, and I got to hear gasps of surprise and delight from people around me enjoying it for the first time. Wonderful stuff.

7 Likes

When I was a lad, my dad had several rear engined Hillman Imps; each one had a paving slab in the nose to balance the car out. :heart_eyes:

13 Likes

My understanding was that replacement smoke for the factory-installed smoke that often leaked out of the wiring harnesses was in high demand.

19 Likes

I’m not sure if this Lotus Elan is aubergine or just black and reflecting the sky.

IMO, for looks, the Elan is one of the few cars that needn’t be embarrassed to be seen beside an E-Type. Maybe beside Diana Rigg.

9 Likes

It is nice. For some reason the one with Diana Rigg/Emma Peel is beautiful though.

8 Likes

My intro to the E-type was a Matchbox car my grandmother gave me in 5th grade (yes, I still have it). I was instantly in love. I never saw a live one until perhaps ten years ago, at the LeMay car museum in Tacoma, WA. As I remember, my wife had to pull me away.

6 Likes

the mum had three Morris Garage MGA model cars when i was growing up, a '56 and two '57s (not all a once).
we learned early on about the Lucas ‘magic smoke’ and if it ever all got out the car was kaput! the factory replacement smoke must not have been available in the states back then (1970s)!

3 Likes

And it’s almost as fast on the autocross course as a Honda minivan.

5 Likes

I once saw an MG with the bumper sticker: All parts falling off of this vehicle are of the finest English workmanship. You had to love these cars.

9 Likes
6 Likes

When I was a kid, our next door neighbor had a hydraulic lift in his garage and 2 identical pale yellow Jaguars (probably E-types–I remember long hoods and wire wheels); one was for parts and the other to drive. He was always tinkering…

They were really pretty cars.

6 Likes

It could well be. Aubergine is a Lotus colour and the 2005 Elise included it as an option.

10 Likes