This movie about a 1300-year-old family business is the most sublime thing you'll see today

If we go back that far, then so can I.

I wonder if I can use this to my advantage regarding neo-nazi pagans, I mean they are just worshippers while I am part divine. :wink:

I can’t match that though.

2 Likes

And since a lot of the genealogy of European nobility traditionally claim ties going back to King David, as one font of legitimacy, these family trees then have a straight shot all the way back to Adam and Eve.

1 Like

And which doesn’t?

http://unionsong.com/u079.html

When Adam dug and Eve did toil
Heia o-ho
No princes trespassed on their soil
Heia o-ho

– sung the peasants in every revolt ever.

2 Likes

When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bond, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty.

John Ball, 1381

I think I need to use the phrase “by the unjust oppression of naughty men” more often.

6 Likes

I feel the urge to get it on a t-shirt.

1 Like

Two hotels are older, both in Japan:

1 Like

I hope so, because after 1300 years, statistically someone has died in every bed in the place.

2 Likes

Agreed. It left me wondering if they could adopt someone who wasn’t married to the younger daughter, though, since the first heir of the family patriarch was adopted.

Planning on being descended from a zucchini noodle-shaver later in the summer, how’s that? Maybe multiple shavers, the noodles can’t be that strong and I have to put in an overhead rack for the noodles.

Might not get into the Naughty Mens’ Union (for alt-Just Oppression) that way (I hope!) [Turns back to An Irish Chef’s nano-Placenta Cookbook]

1 Like

Pretty impresive. Here’s a bit of my tree.

Yes, those are BCE…

It would appear that one of your ancestors lived to be 138.

And either you have missing data, or two of them are still alive at the ripe old age of 2500, give or take a few decades.

I think someone tried to import data from here

which is notable because

This is how I would feel if I had been born in that family:

1 Like

Fredie Mercury wasn’t willing to sacrifice his mustache to his art?

Apart from the Emperor of Japan, there’s the Papacy (technically a monarchy).

There is also an older republic, San Marino, which claims to have been founded in AD 301.

1 Like

Also from the Prophet Muhammad (via Spain)

1 Like

A friend of my parents is notoriously arrogant and an expert in all things. I got into an argument with him about Tetley’s ale. “I’m afraid you are wrong. I’ll have you know that Tetley makes tea and only tea and has done so for hundreds of years.”

“Well, I drank Tetley’s in London and it wasn’t tea. I can state with confidence there is a Tetley’s Ale.”

“Well maybe they’re getting into that business now.”

. . .

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.