This movie about a 1300-year-old family business is the most sublime thing you'll see today

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/25/this-movie-about-a-1300-year-o.html

6 Likes

There aren’t even any monarchies that old, I think?

2 Likes

Very well told indeed. Right away I was as absorbed as I would be in a good feature-length drama.

10 Likes

Thanks for posting that. Beautiful, sad, and inspiring all at once. I hope the 47th owner finds peace and happiness and pride to go along with this heavy but glorious burden.

8 Likes

So what’s the first oldest hotel? I want to compare!

1 Like

after 1300 years

… the comforters have been washed nearly a dozen times.

5 Likes

Tl;dw. How many times did it burn down? Because everything Japan burns down!

2 Likes

One hotel room has a Gideon Bible that was left behind by Gideon himself.

12 Likes

Burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp.

9 Likes

Stayed there a few years ago and had a very pleasant time. Met the owner, by coincidence and outside of the hotel. Also was able to later meet his daughter…

5 Likes

Darn onions. :cry:

1 Like
2 Likes

The Japamese monarchy is older.

Elizabeth II claims descent from both Cerdic, 6th century king of Wessex (forerunner of the kingdom of England) and Fergus Mór, 5th/6th century king of Dál Riata (likewise forerunner of the kingdom of Scotland). Don’t know if that counts.

ETA: it seems that according to tradition the first Emperor of Japan began his reign in 660 BC.

Yea, but wasn’t there a little Sengoku period in there?

@SheiffFatman And wasn’t there a little War of the Roses in there?

1 Like

The Emperor reigned but did not rule,

Re the Wars of the Roses, that kind of thing is precisely why claiming descent from an earlier dynasty was important for legitimacy.

4 Likes

You said monarchy, not dynasty. There was always a king during the Wars of the Roses: Henry VI and Edward IV even got two goes each.

There was the Commonwealth period, when the monarchy was formally abolished in England, Scotland and Ireland. But when the Restoration put Charles II on the throne, his reign was officially back-dated to his father’s death in 1649.

4 Likes

Technically so do I.

4 Likes

Yeah? Well Her Majesty also claims descent from Woden, king of the freaking gods! Beat that!

Seriously, she does. And Charles reckons he’s descended from Dracula.

2 Likes

I mean, the Aeneid claimed Augustus was descended from a survivor of the Trojan War more than a thousand yeas before he was born. Deification and heroic retconning of the big wheel is an old trick.

2 Likes