This portable fire pit is pretty nice to have around

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/19/this-portable-fire-pit-is-pret.html

3 Likes

I have this one on my patio, which is essentially the same thing at half the price.

1 Like

I’ve got a BioLite stove that works on the same principles but also generates electricity to power whatever USB crap you just HAD to take with you on a camping trip. All of these are iterations of the Hobo Stove.

2 Likes

The smell, the smoke, arranging logs and poking the fire are half the fun!

10 Likes

not to mention the smoke repelling bugs. I see campers here in FL building intentionally smoky fires to keep mosquitoes away.

3 Likes

Just dig a Dakota Fire Hole in the backyard. You’ll be good, so long as no one steps in it later. :grin:

When he asked what he could bring I told him firewood would be awesome,

A complete no-no in most of Ontario due to various tree-killing imported pests that they don’t want spread. Check your local restrictions.

4 Likes

I have the bigger bonfire model, and it is pretty nice. What it is missing though is a domed screen over the top, because even though you do not get many embers out of the top, that IS a requriement for an open fire in my locality.

1 Like

My dad uses the tub from a front load washing machine with a couple handles welded to it and a metal plate dropped over the center hole. Functions pretty much how these are described and was basically free.

3 Likes

Looks like a big can of sterno.

3 Likes

You beat me to it. Came to say ‘I have one of these but it has many more holes and in fact came out of a washing machine for zero cost’
It works extremely well, by the way.

4 Likes

I got a little stainless stove and only used it once or twice. It seems like every time I camp up here in the PNW it’s “gas stoves and official/permanent fire pits only.”
These are cool enough I might talk myself into getting one anyway. I’m sure I could carry stuff inside of it even when I can’t light it up.

Jesus, it’s a frapping giant Sterno can! Perfect for making squeeze in industrial quantities.

washer tub with a sewer grate grill ftw

6 Likes

I’ve got one of the next size up from that, and it’s amazing. It might sound like a gimmick, but their system with the hollow walls is a significant improvement over the alternatives without it, both in terms of more heat/less smoke and in terms of drawing more air through the fire.

1 Like

I got this enamel washer drum for $0. I have a similar stainless drum too if you like that look.

5 Likes

And less residue. Much less in the way of half-burned logs when you are done.

1 Like

Finally I can cook sausages on the plane.

2 Likes

I take mine camping. It approximately doubles how long a quantity of firewood lasts.

For what it’s worth, they’re having a sale over on their website with cheaper prices than Amazon’s.

https://www.solostove.com

The campfire model seems reasonably priced, except couldn’t I just make one out of a paint can? And I can’t think that these will stay as shiny and bright after one or two uses.

1 Like