This pub is 5,000 years old

Originally published at: This pub is 5,000 years old | Boing Boing

10 Likes

cool!
Dear Brother was digging there back in October. he is not all in on the “fridge” thing, though. not enough to go on.
here is one of his YT channel vids about Lagash and the excavation there:

ETA: maybe that so-called “fridge” was powered by…
The Baghdad Battery!

32 Likes

Of course no battery would be needed for an evaporative fridge…Baghdad or not.

17 Likes

So typical. Even 5,000 years ago the night crew never does clean-up.

23 Likes

Joke Google+ or Yelp reviews coming in 3. . . 2. . . 1. . .

10 Likes

That sounds as if the city was occupied until close to the Late Bronze Age Collapse (about 1200 BCE).

4 Likes

The area was replete with benches, a type of clay refrigerator referred to as a “zeer,” an oven, and storage containers, many of which still contained food.

Does Steve1989MREInfo know yet?

9 Likes

I’m going to take this as evidence they were serving fish and (beet) chips.

It’d be interesting to know the events which led up to it being abandoned with as much preservation of contents as there is.

8 Likes

the health department shut it down when they realized the fridge was not a fridge

10 Likes

“Hey look! Somebody’s tab.”

3 Likes

Apparently this guy and his pals:

9 Likes

Nice hiss!

1 Like

Yeah, time to get off the internet. Read that headline incorrectly.

3 Likes

To bad they went out of business. I wonder what the next conqueror had against pubs?

2 Likes

I fixate on it as a pub - did it serve alcohol and if so, was it a microbrewery? I think the Sumerian beer recipe is 4000 years old. I asked a brewer once about using my own sourdough starter yeast (now in my family for 50 years but there’s all kinds of different takes on whether yeast lineage actually matters) to do the easy apple ale brewing, he said that going back to ancient history, the brewing shops and bread shops have consistently been found next door to each other. And yeah I’ve used it and yeah it was possibly more drinkable that that Sumerian brew.

3 Likes

Streets in Pompeii had pedestrian crossings with stepping stones, so that pedestrians could avoid stepping in mud, horse shit, ox shit, etc.

3 Likes

A new study showing that any alcohol consumption is bad for health? :thinking:

That the location was never resettled (in thousands of years!) suggests that there was nothing special about the place. It built up as a trade center, with marshes to limit land access. When it was sacked, the trade moved elsewhere and never returned.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.