This "retro" technique still makes the best coffee

Do what my folks do. Order online. No end of companies sending fresh roasted coffee through the mail. And many of them can do a subscription, so you never run out.

1 Like

I had a Turkish friend who only strained the coarse grounds out, but allowed the really fine grounds to accumulate into a muddy deposit. I’m pretty sure this was intentional. Even if it wasn’t, it is now, because that’s how I like my coffee.

9 Likes

Yep. I’m definitely a French press fan, although sometimes I get nostalgic for an old-fashioned stovetop percolator :grinning:

But yeah, drip coffee just doesn’t do it for me, and Keurigs can all die in a fire.

1 Like

This. Fuckin’ grinds.

2 Likes

Easy peasy, just pour tequila, fresh-squoze limes, some lemon, maybe a little Stirrings margarita mix or lemonade, more tequila, and some ice into the French press, put the plunger in and plunge a few times to blend it all together. We like our margaritas ‘up’ and so the plunger is left in…it holds back the ice and any debris from the citrus. The larger presses are good for sharing, or you can make individual servings in the smaller ones.

The press technique works great for any mixed drink!

11 Likes

Proper Turkish coffee should have sludge at the bottom. Yum.

17 Likes

Yes, since getting an aeropress my plunge pot is most used for a pot of tea in the fridge, but the high octane variety.

I prefer filter as I like coffee, not coffee with bits in it.

I have a double-walled stainless steel one for camping. It’s nigh indestructible. (Very like the one TobinL posted.)

1 Like

Show me how to make a proper espresso with one of these, and you’ve got me convinced.

1 Like

A small price to pay.

George Orwell would agree if he had written about coffee.

3 Likes

I like this idea. Clever.

1 Like

I bet I could ruin it.

1 Like

Above is the correct answer.

Those of you who can’t handle some coffee grounds actually don’t love coffee all that much.

As for FP being “the best”: ALL COFFEE IS THE BEST IF IT IS THE COFFEE YOU HAVE.

FP was my preferred workplace cup because it’s strong AF is you make it properly and does not require a kitchen. When I was in tech my cubicle was the cool kids coffee shop which kept me from doing much work; tbh, I was in the escalation queue for Mac OS (like system 7 era) and Windows 3.11 so I wasn’t that busy anyhow.

But I love it all and it all has its place. For 9-5 M-F jerbs I need something with a timer. For once in a while I have a Capresso pump machine for making lattes, if I ever feel romantic again I have a copper-clad Turkish pot and a super fine coffee mill. For camping or when I miss my great grandma (not often she was a real mean bitch) I have a percolator and will buy condensed sweetened cream.

12 Likes

There are some locals who do delivery but they have no clue what a byzantine hassle they’ve made their process. It’s not really a big deal for me, though. A few times a year, I have a week or two of absolutely amazing coffee no matter how I brew it … and the rest of the time, I have ok coffee. :laughing:

2 Likes

Oh I’m not having this problem. I have a Mister Coffee. I know it doesn’t make me cool, but it makes me coffee.

5 Likes

The best Turkish coffee I’ve ever had was made by an Albanian coworker. He wouldn’t allow anyone to see how he brewed it in total. The break room was off limits while he made it. But he used an incredibly fine ground coffee. Stuff was pretty much powder. Once the coffee was done. Well it was basically a thin, transparent, but deep red liquid. It was really heavy on coffee oils too. The grounds became a thick stable pad at the bottom of the cup. And you damn sure poured the grounds in with the coffee, over any sugar. And allowed the grounds to settle out as the coffee cooled to a drinkable temp. Those little traditional, Turkish coffee glasses actually allow you to decant the coffee off the grounds as you drank. So you didn’t drink the grounds.

So I’d say that was absolutely intentional.

10 Likes

Black and Decker/Mr. Coffee are superb machines (well, there are a few stinkers among them). I sold high-end coffee makers from Krups, Capresso, up to super high-end Italian espresso makers (La Pavoni) and for a daily drinker workhorse you get as much out of a $20 BnD as you do out of most $100 drip machines minus a few features that fail all the time (self grinders, water filtration, etc. all add parts that fail. A drip machine shouldn’t have a feature more complicated than auto-off and a timer for the morning).

4 Likes

That’s why I have an aeropress.

5 Likes

Like washing? I don’t know about like, but no less than washing anything else.

Rinse. Put some dish soap and water in, and run the plunger up and down a few times. Rinse again. Done. Once every few days take it apart and put it in the dishwasher.

5 Likes