This team of blind women are detecting the tiniest breast cancer lumps in patients with incredible accuracy

Originally published at: This team of blind women are detecting the tiniest breast cancer lumps in patients with incredible accuracy | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I for one welcome our new blind, titty-saving overlords!

10 Likes

Fighting cancer > Fighting street level crime that is largely the result of inequality

2 Likes

Must be one of the most nerve wrecking jobs ever. Have a bad day at work, miss a spot, and someone fucking dies. I mean, it’s great that someone takes on the challenge, but personally I can’t imagine having that level of responsibility.

4 Likes

Yeah but nobody is going to want a male lawyer to examine their breasts. Maybe if Matt Murdock had decided to pursue medicine instead of law…

2 Likes

I was expecting to make a joke here, but this is all sorts of amazing.

4 Likes

That’s also true of carnival ride technicians or anyone driving a car. These people are taking 30-40 minutes, being systematic, and receiving 9 months’ training for this one task – the whole point of stuff like that is to ensure you get it right whether you’re having a good day or not. It’s like airline pilots, where 99% of their job is boring checklists to preëmpt the other 1%.

I know some blind people object to the trope about “the other senses improve to compensate”, and the truth might simply be that they’re better than doctors because they have more training and take more time to do it. But in places with strong modesty norms, like India, blind practitioners might make patients more willing to go for screening.

10 Likes

This is way better in real life than the creepy X-Files cancer man.

Jennifer Walters seems up for it

Yeah, nah. Intentional slang. I’m in New Zealand right now, accompanying my wife who is very much living despite missing some small lumps. 18 years now post diagnosis. She is a member of a dragon boat team made up of breast cancer survivors who have proven they are very much alive after their cancer experience. Every 3-4 years there is an international meet whereby teams from all over the world meet and prove that there is life after treatment. So nah, yeah!

If anyone is interested in more information, or to tell me you are in New Zealand, DM me. I don’t have cell service but do get wifi connections now and then. Come to the big parade tomorrow in Cambridge!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.