This top-rated productivity app makes PDFs less annoying

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/22/this-top-rated-productivity-ap.html

My annoyance with PDFs has to do with how many people don’t understand how to create them in the first place, so I get attachments in probably a dozen different software programs (not all of which I own, or particularly want running just so I can read one stupid page of text) which I then helpfully convert to PDFs and send back to them.

Let’s get most adults out of cyber-kindergarten before we start worrying about having them create high school research papers.

5 Likes

Aren’t all these functions already part of the Preview.app that comes with every installation of OSX? And most other free cross-platform PDF readers?

4 Likes

Everyone should do like they do where I work. Print it out, sign in, scan it, email it.

(Which, though I hate doing that, is oftentimes faster than the alternatives.)

1 Like

I wouldn’t call converting anything I sent you to a pdf “helpful”. My biggest complaint with pdfs is the DRM they add to documents so you can’t edit or sometimes even select text. Especially bad is when people put data that should be in plain text making it utterly useless for any kind of import/export.

Then there’s having to purchase software for the joy of locking up a document.

If you’re just sending a page of text then just send it as a text file!

2 Likes

Or you could just download and install libreoffiice for free, and use libre/draw to open pdfs and edit whatever you want (or insert your scanned sig or whatever) for free.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.