Three states considering "right to repair" laws that would decriminalize fixing your stuff

Snitches get stitches.

1 Like

There are a several lead engineers there, and not being authorized by JD is not the same as being criminally illegal. Also, the problem with JD aggressively litigating against people who use their products in unauthorized ways is the fact that there are Kubota dealers everywhere.
Also, big green is perfectly aware of my uncle’s exploits, he is something of an activist.

1 Like

I spoke lightly when i said “break” :sweat_smile: but i appreciate the info

What i meant is that some products are built with the intent to be obsolete, as in, a product is shipped out when the .com fully knowing a better product is already being worked on

Like some video game series, the turn based strategy game Civilization will have a basic copy released followed by 2-3 expansions that add content & change game mechanics, which gets rather frustrating because the fan community goes out of their way to provide their own mods, its an unfinished product which the .com had multiple years to work on

But of course this :point_up_2: goes back to the software

Undoubtedly, there is a faction in the engineering apparatus at JD that really worries about safety and liability should user mods turn out badly. Unfortunately, there is obviously a faction that would ride on that back of that for profit, making things worse in the guise of making them better. How do these people sleep at night?

It should be enough that unauthorized modifications void the warranty. For JD agricultural equipment, the longest warranty is for 24 months or 2000 hours of use, and is void if any work is done by anyone other than approved JD service people. It is my experience that the sort of mods discussed here are being done on equipment well out of warranty anyway.
One thing that I have done several times on one tractor is replace the fuel pump. There is nothing special about the pump, it is cheaply made in China, but JD wants to sell it as part of a whole assembly that includes other components, and is pretty expensive. In order to change the pump, I have to drill out rivets and cut swages, then replace them with bolts and new brackets. Obviously, a submerged electric fuel pump has potential for danger if installed incorrectly, but other manufacturers seem to have overcome that issue, as they allow the pump to be replaced by itself. And it is the same pump. The price for the pump varies widely, depending on what brand of equipment you buy it for. but it is always the same item, with model numbers from the obscure Chinese manufacturer still there and identical.
This example is literally a repair instead of a mod, except that some fabrication is done the first time the pump is replaced, so it can be done easily in the future.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.