TikTok admits secretly banning the word "gay" and like terms in Russia, elsewhere

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/10/tiktok-admits-secretly-banning.html

2 Likes

Gee, it’s almost like corporations aren’t trustworthy regarding free speech when it clashes with profits… that can’t be true, tho. I was told the free markets will solve all our problems. /s

10 Likes

Yeah, once TikTok is sold to a freedom-loving American company all this censorship will stop. /s

7 Likes

Yes, they are never problematic! AMURICAN FREE ENTERPRISE IS THE FREEST OF FREEDUMSSSS!!! /s

:pensive:

5 Likes

I clicked over to learn what the Scunthorpe problem is and the Wikipedia page is full of entertaining examples, like the fact that if news sites replace the word “ass” with “butt,” it results in words like buttbuttinate. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bad!

But I think it bears pointing out that it’s only within the last decade or two that mass media platforms have existed anywhere that don’t have this exact same policy. Aside from a very occasional wheelchair-bound hottie, American movies and TV refuse to show disabled, disfigured, autistic or ugly people even to this day. So you could argue that Chinese culture is just more honest about its prejudices.

I believe the Tik Tok people are a pack of Scunthorpes!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.