Tiny $1900 Rubik's Cube

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/24/tiny-1900-rubiks-cube.html

1 Like

Methinks speed-cubing would be a bit tougher with this…

Ooooo! Ultra-precision metal. Is that like gold or platinum?

2 Likes

Possibly this sort of thing. Ultra precision machinery.

1 Like

That kind of visual stunt is done with EDM (electrical discharge machining). It’s not actually about higher precision. The trick works because EDM creates high quality surface finishes easily with no edge burrs, and can do so on complex forms. You can get a fit like that with traditional machine tools, it’s just a lot more work.

This tiny Rubik’s cube could be done on most standard machine tools. It’s much easier than, say watchmaking work.

4 Likes

Is that dollars or yen? :thinking:

1 Like

I’d solve it, but the stickers on each cube are too tiny for me to peel off and put back in the right place.

5 Likes

Worth a watch if you get the chance.

1 Like

I have since discovered this

That video is cool - especially the spiral block slowly sinking. The only question it left me with is, “What is this fashion of a long fingernail on only the pinkie finger?” (around 1:16)

1 Like

The only question it left me with is, “What is this fashion of a long fingernail on only the pinkie finger?” (around 1:16)

In the 90’s that was for snorting cocaine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.