Tiny Type Museum: own a time capsule of the print age

Working in an old print shop and knowing the cost of some of the items, this strikes me as oddly expensive. We’ve been having 2 or 3 older print shops going out of business in this area each year for a while now. Most of them had a basement full of linotype and photopolymer gear that they were having trouble finding people willing to take it. Most shops end up selling their gear as raw scrap.

1 Like

About 10 years ago, I heard a print shop was going out of business, and selling all their gear. I looked around and got a few things. The empty type cases were expensive, the type had been dumped into buckets for a dollar a bucket. The best thing was a sign in the back: “Linotype machine: Free for the taking.”

Sure, it would have cost serious money to move, but if I had a garage I would have it now. But there was no way it could go in the basement.

3 Likes

“Handmade” seems like a stretch, at least if it’s referring to the faux drawers. Those are pretty clearly laser-cut, and use some pretty questionable joinery for something that would see actual use. Those look like CAD-drawn boxes with a drawer front glued on.

When I see “handmade” in reference to something wooden, I expect to see evidence of fine woodworking somewhere. These drawers are kind of nice and all, but they are simply assembled, not handmade.

Maybe “handmade” means the stuff in the drawers?

I think I’m gonna go re-learn how to make dovetail joints just to verify that humans can still do stuff that’s hard.

Handmade, indeed.

3 Likes

if you live in bay area you can learn to use real presses, book binding, and other printing skills.

https://sfcb.org

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.