Tipping screws poor people, women, brown people, restaurateurs, local economies and...you

Unfortunately the fools and sociopaths in DC don’t seem capable of proper implementation, nor have I ever seen any other industrialized multicultural nation pull it off successfully. Welfare sucks, for example.

O/T I don’t see any problem with the term myself, but it does me no harm to respect your preferences, so I’ll forswear the usage henceforth. :slight_smile:

Back when I was a waiter, and dinosaurs still roamed Tellurian steppes, I tried very hard to get better tips by providing better service than the other waiters.

3 Likes

Tipping isn’t racist in and of itself (unless you systematically tip people of color less of course) but the tipping system is a racist system because it systematically disadvantages people of color.

5 Likes

I personally loathe tipping, but I usually give between 20% and 25%, and generally never tip below 15%. The last time I went below that was when a waitress blatantly (not ambiguously) insulted my sister. I left a note instead saying Don’t speak to my sister that way; I could have told your manager and I choose not to because maybe you’re just having a really bad day. Unfortunately that waitress probably got stiffed by at least half a dozen tables that week, so my note in lieu of a tip probably made no impression. I’ve waited tables. It’s a demeaning and soul crushing occupation. I learned to cook in no small part to avoid patronizing the food service industry.

I travel to Asia quite a bit for my job and one of the things I unequivocally look forward to is leaving this bullshit behind me.

3 Likes

Well, since people of color (much like seniors and women) are statistically more likely to be a lower economic bracket, it actually makes monetary sense from a purely mercenary standpoint for waitpersons to focus their attention on white male clients, as they’re more likely to have more disposable income with which to tip. So at least in that sense, tipping as a system is actually racist. Perhaps that’s what you meant?

3 Likes

So are Canadian customers getting the worst of both worlds? There’s no “tipped worker” minimum wage exemption here, so restaurant prices are notably higher. But on top of that we seem to import the tipping traditions (rates, situations, worker behavior) from the US.

I’m worried that if we push our minimum wage above the “livable” line (and we definitely should) that I’ll still be made to feel like an ass for not throwing another 20% on that. I’ll just stop eating out at that point, if I don’t before then. My friends and I put on better group meals than we get at any restaurant.

o/t: I think increasingly often that the biggest thing holding Canada back is our proximity to the States.

2 Likes

There is in BC. Notice how broadly ‘liquor-server’ is defined…

(Also, for those not-in-the-know, since employment falls under provincial jurisdiction, there’s no single “Canadian” standard for such things).

Ummmm… I think most are probably convinced that tipping keeps them afloat at all. As someone who used to work for tips, I never saw it as a “huge reward”, but as a way to actually pay my rent.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone means to get rid of tips and leave the base salary, the point is to RAISE the base salary so that tips are not how you’re making a living in the first place.

5 Likes

I would be quite happy to pay more for my meal with the knowledge that I don’t have to add 20% at the end.

1 Like
4 Likes

Not only are you an asshole on principal but when you don’t tip the server ends up actually owing money in most cases. That’s just shitty but not as shitty as the system that makes this possible. It’s a breath of fresh air to travel to countries where people in the service industry can make a living wage without relying on tips.

1 Like

CSB

One time me and three friends reached Bannockburn. We were all tired, hungry, thirsty, and grumpy. But me, the leader of the trek finds an old, flippin awesome pub with a clientele that had probably been there for fifty years. I go to the bar and ask if they serve food, they say No, and I say That that’s alright–two ciders and two 70-.

I pay and go to the loo. When I come back there is a mountain of sandwiches, our beers, and joyful faces. When we left I put a ten pound note on on the table as a tip.

Later that evening, I toddled back to the same pub. The same people were there, and roared, “ooh, that’s the American that tried to tip!!”. Then in great humor but also great seriousness made me put my ten pound note into the local charity box.

I got along with those fellows swimmingly. (Did I mention the carpet was tartan?)

14 Likes

Hey, tipping should be for going above and beyond typical service, and that’s what it sounds like they did.

I tip anywhere I’m expected to, and I usually tip absurd amounts, just because I don’t typically go places and having worked just in retail and knowing how shitty that is, can only imagine how bad waiting tables is. I make a point of being a good customer. There’s really two rules in life: “Be a good patient, especially when being operated on under local anesthetic.” and “don’t piss off the people who handle your food.”

It’s really cool they made you give your tip to charity though.

7 Likes

I totally didn’t see it coming, but it felt kinda like, “you’re one of is now” sorta things. Or, “you’re foreign, bit we will teach you how to behave round these parts”.

Being harassed by pensioners never felt so good.

7 Likes

It’s maybe better to ask where does it go?

Working people generally spend all their income which boosts general economic demand.

In that way it’s a better suited use of taxes for our time than supply side policies.

4 Likes

Mmmmmmmmm

3 Likes

Which quickly become Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Blisters when you shovel them in too fast.

3 Likes

Human rights are the moral guarantees that people in all countries and cultures have simply because they are people. When the world stood against apartheid South Africa due to its denial of fundamental moral rights such as the rights not to be discriminated against on grounds of colour and rights to political participation, to the majority of that country’s inhabitants. This opposition existed due to a belief in the existence and validity of moral rights.

If you would like to argue that the moral guarantees of universal human rights are fantasy or irrelevant to you then we have no common ground for discussion.

Further, if you feel that human rights are not universal and not every human deserves them, again, we have no ground upon which discourse can be built.

Your remaining arguments are argument of definition and semantics and therefore are of little use. I’ll address them in closing

• Work is well defined we have no need to define work here.
  • The bar for just and favourable remuneration is set by societal norms. In the U.S. we have a poverty line. Anyone employed at a rate below that line is being harmed by their employer. Other locals may have other methods.
  • The two wage vs one wage family of four is answered simply due to the fact that equality in pay is also guaranteed under the universal declaration of human rights and therefore you cannot get away with paying one group or person less simply because they are living with another wage earner.
  • We set “an existence worthy of human dignity” by setting the poverty line in the U.S. Your society may have another metric.
  • No, nothing says the employer must make remuneration for labor. If you live in a society where the government or some other entity pays for labor, then that would be the payor.

Perhaps my moral beliefs are not correct as you claim. My defense is only that they are shared by millions if not billions of people which is why the U.N. has declared them universal. So, if not correct, I’m at least in good and plentiful company.

2 Likes

It’s shovelling them out too fast that gets you in the end.

1 Like
3 Likes