Tips for buying Soviet cameras

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/03/05/tips-for-buying-soviet-cameras.html

3 Likes

Finely crafted, high end SLR cameras designed for the most discriminating photography maven specializing in the most specific genre of recording for all posterity the ultimate images of snow, a staple of Russian art and science. This is similar to the phenomena of a fine manual typewriter that has become a collector’s item since it was revealed that Tom Hanks is a true aficionado of banging away creating masterpieces on fine grade paper, these cameras will surely escalate in price to a price point that will exclude all but the most capable of handling the upper echelons of “Bit” Coin…
Ask yourselves… Am I really rich? Or just a hoi polloi poseur? Is this really a market that is for me or should I throw my ill gotten gains into more of those hundreds of Tom Brady rookie season cards that I have carelessly let the dog chew on ??

Short version: “Don’t”

1 Like

Self reboing?

6 Likes

It’s all in the glass, if the lens is left wanting the rest don’t matter. Many are shocked at the price point of a fine/upper quality lens. It’s the glass in the lens, hand ground in some cases, machined in others, but in the end a good lens / glass quality will take the best image.

2 Likes

LX

the main reason why I got a zenit in the seventies was the telephoto and being able to focus in frame

Love my Zenit and assorted lenses! Picked them up when I lived over there. Little harder to use these days, and not just because film is getting scarce.

1 Like

I know someone who’s always buying broken Soviet lenses.

(I think he spelled it bokeh, but they never get the background right, so I think he meant broken.)
/s

1 Like

If the subject is in focus and the foreground and background are not–Bokeh.
If the subject, forground, and background are in focus–Hyperfocal.
If the subject, forground, and background are not in focus–broken.

1 Like

I do love my soviet cameras and I can’t find anything at fault with that article.

Because I’m no longer a college student I’ve been getting better and more German cameras. Yet, I find myself going out more often with my Zork-1 or Fed-2 and being more snapshoty with them. They are a bit lighter, and I don’t worry as much getting them damaged. I think this flickr group ( https://www.flickr.com/groups/1060189@N22/ ) is also to blame a bit because they encourage people to go out and take pictures with Soviet / Eastern Bloc cameras every May (For International Workers Day) and October (Red October).

In Soviet Russia, camera photograph you!

Now, you see, that’s actually the problem. Soviet camera is so broken it’s not able to photograph you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.