To solve homelessness Lakewood, New Jersey enacts their policy of cruelty to all

all that money flushed down the … oh, you get it.

the time scale of those cycles is very short. it’s all within (most of) our lifetimes. we here in the states just need to decide that public services are both humane and a good long term investment in our country

it doesn’t have to keep swinging both ways. to end the rise of fascism maybe we have to take the radical step of caring for each other when we’re down

17 Likes

You don’t even need to go as far as NAZI comparisons. Just read (or watch) The Grapes of Wrath. Angry people trying to shut down encampments, including a nice official Federal one, was a major plot point.

The idea of people being against simple government-supported encampments for desperate people who have no other options just boggles the mind.

20 Likes

We know we’ve reached peak Dystopia when some city starts destroying empty homes and apartment buildings because of the homeless. Quick! Destroy the buildings! Homeless people could live in them!

14 Likes

Well, here in the land of the prosperity gospel poverty is a choice, a sign that god hates you, a moral failing and an individual’s responsibility. Also those people hanging around is a reminder that any of us could join them in one medical emergency.
Being cruel to people god hates is just piety.

2 Likes
14 Likes
7 Likes

The old, “Why can’t these people go and suffer somewhere out of my line of sight” comment, reminds me of…

7 Likes

They do realize that Robocop was a satire, don’t they?

5 Likes

Everyone’s touched upon the key points related to homelessness and insidious cruelty already, so I’ll ask the other question:

Who the fuck throws trees into dumpsters???
Whenever tree work is done around here they have a chipper on site, and either use the mulch for city mulch or bring it to a big community shed where residents can go get bucketfuls for the garden. Like where we can get sand/salt in the winter.

20 Likes

So was The Hitchhiker’s Guide, where they burned down the forests at the end to enforce economic scarcity on each other

… oh look, that’s back to the original topic again

12 Likes

My guess is that it’s kind of like the DeSantis immigrant situation. Maybe a lot of city workers told them what a fucking stupid idea it would be to cut down all those trees, so they had to find someone who just didn’t give a damn.

13 Likes

Their business motto is, “Have chainsaw, will asshole.”

12 Likes

Do not want chainsaw near asshole under any meaning of those words.

6 Likes

14 Likes

That Would Be Me GIF by Billboard Music Awards

10 Likes

To try to solve the Mass and Cass homeless problem in the South End, Boston MA built tiny homes, used seldom used hotels and even a luxury apartment building for housing them.

Despite that many, many homeless preferred the street and remain in that area even now.

What we really need is a place to treat junkies who are to ashamed to go home. Homelessness and drug abuse have been lumped into one category here.

1 Like

… so are we going to lump homelessness and drug abuse into one category now, or is lumping them into one category a bad thing :confused:

3 Likes

Welcome to the Great Lakes. Cleveland has been spending about 10,000 dollars for each empty house it tears down and has a large infrastructure making sure that the really low end of the market doesn’t continue to slide.

4 Likes

In the case of my previous neighborhood the houses that were removed were those that had been abandoned for a long time and were too damaged to be repaired. Rooves missing, multiple fires, rotted out, all copper stripped out years ago. Unsafe for occupation by anyone.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.