Tom Cruise is right: motion-smoothing sucks

I just want the raw bits! Straight to my brain!

Now I am waiting for confused relatives to contact me trying to work out why they can’t find the information they need when they search for ‘Turn off motion smoothing [your brand of TV here]’.

We are all on the autism spectrum, just as every photon is on the electromagnetic spectrum. I suppose it takes people like your brother to give albums an order in the first place.

My daughter got his huge flatscreen TV in her room from her aunt, much to the envy of her brothers. That is, until she joined a game of Fortnite with her brothers, who would run circles around her and every one of her shots would miss. That’s when she called upon the services of the resident I.T.-guy (me). I noticed there was quite the amount of input lag from her controller to what I saw happening on screen. Thing is, I could hear my actions happening instantly (as my headphone was plugged into the controller), but my actions did not show up on screen until after a second, which is deemed unplayable in FPS games.

So I looked into the settings from the TV. And there were quite a few… All of them to do with ‘embellishing’ whatever came on screen. Motion smoothing, dynamic this and that. When I turned them all to ‘Off’, that’s when the TV finally performed like it was supposed to. It obviously takes time to process an image.

So when you see your team score in a sports event, just realise that you didn’t watch them score in real-time.

4 Likes

You can be my video wingman anytime.

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

1 Like

Interview

15 Likes

You didn’t manage to do it right then, then? :wink:

ETA just to add for anyone wanting to get into the detail of frame rates:

Movies and films are almost exclusively projected at 24 frames per second. Television does not have an internationally accepted frame rate. PAL and SECAM use 25 FPS in Europe and in Japan they use 29.97 NTSC.

I suspect the reference to Japan ought to also be a reference to USA as NTSC 30 fps is technically 29.97, I believe.
Quote is extracted from here - which has a nice table of info on various frame rates

Is that actually true? I thought it was called a spectrum because the conditions it represents vary significantly in the nature and severity of their symptoms (with no bright-line divisions between them), not because everyone is on it to a greater or lesser degree.

1 Like

Same here - rather than call it something like ‘motion-smoothing’ Sony use the phrase ‘Motionflow’ and hide it DEEP (I’m talking Colossal Cave deep) in the settings.

Kirk might have avoided a lot of Kirk-fu fights that way.

Trek effects guy Doug Drexler wrote (wish I could remember where) an interesting piece about how original Trek was intentionally lit and filmed so the show would look great on either a color or B&W set – and it does. He contrasted it with the lighting of the Trek spin-offs, which look muddy and gray on a B&W TV. The DPs who learned lighting in the B&W days of film and TV were absolute wizards.

7 Likes

Did you ask them if they like being wrong?

1 Like

No but i should have. In fact i’m going to use that question more often in life.

It’s an extremely valid question these days… how do you tell someone they are wrong when they believe what they are seeing?

Birth certificate, emails, flat earth, and now motion smoothing.

1 Like

I wonder if the default Hi-Def works well with the documentary style underwater scenes and Michael Mcdonald concert footage that video stores loop on their display TVs and that is why it is defaulted.

That would make sense. That’s the explanation I’ve heard for why the default settings always have the backlight, contrast, sharpness, and saturation cranked to ridiculous levels: the former two to compensate for bright showroom lighting, and the latter two to stand out by presenting a more striking image than the other TVs on the shelf.

The strange thing is that many TVs have a “demo mode” which is meant to be used in those contexts. I’m not actually sure what it does, but it seems like that should preclude needing to have the default settings also be cranked to ridiculous levels - and yet they are, anyway.

1 Like

Ah, really!

Probably just a feature to help the sales team return to “default” after the display’s settings have been changed.

Even when they weren’t trying to make it look great on either color or B&W, they could pick colors that would create the right effects in B&W.

Ex: The Addams Family

5 Likes

I have always interpreted it as:

Autism <-> Aspergers <-> Most People <-> Schizogenic personality <-> Schizophrenia

My interpretation has long been that this variation is caused by the middlewear in the brain which mediates between our various modelling functions. At one end you have hardly any communication, at the other end, way too much.