TOM THE DANCING BUG: A Call from the '90s

People who don’t live in cities and have shitty cell-tower coverage.

2 Likes

Yes, now get off of my lawn!

2 Likes

http://dresdencodak.com/2009/09/22/caveman-science-fiction/

Uhm…yea the original comic and creator…

My internet providers in the UK and Germany didn’t give me a choice. I have one modem that provides landline, internet and wifi.

4 Likes

In the UK a lot of internet services come as part of a package deal with TV and a landline, priced in such a way that it’s actually cheaper to keep the landline. We don’t have a phone plugged into ours however.
Also, if you can’t get fibre or cable, you’ll probably be getting internet via ASDL, and again, there’s practically no way to get that without a voice service as well.

2 Likes

Why would you do that? Wait until they wake up first.

2 Likes

…Sorry.

3 Likes

Good to know. Thanks!

I still like my unlimited data. :wink:

1 Like

With the current AT&T set-up my mother has for her land-line now, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t work if there was a power outage because I think the phone line is coming out of the internet router. It rather defeats the purpose of thing in many ways.

1 Like

I can’t even tell who this is supposed to be mocking. People who don’t phone when a text will do? Yeah, uh…fuck those guys, right?

1 Like

90's go for it

5 Likes

There is finally respite…

1 Like

When we had our first born, my wife didn’t like the idea of being at home on her own (with the baby) without a way to call for help if she needed it, so we actually reconnected, and then went to a local school fair to buy a plain old non-cordless, non-powered phone.
Living in Wellington NZ, the chance of a reasonable earthquake is pretty good, and the power network tends to take itself offline automatically in case power lines are down on anything bigger than about a 4.

Awesomely, we had a swarm of earthquakes right after he was born. Some in the hospital we ignored because it’s a very safe building, but the first time I left them at home on their own (two days after his birth), we had the biggest earthquake Wellington has had the last decade or so.

1 Like

If it’s plugged in the wall and still works during a blackout, it’s a landline.

Ah, so no, I do not have a landline. It’s plugged into a router (well, at least the base set is) and it most certainly does not work during a blackout.

Woo! I too can make fun of those with landlines that still work during blackouts …

… um … yeah.

2 Likes

not only did i make use of a landline today, it was a payphone. i don’t carry a cell phone as a privacy measure and so when i was developing a flat tire i went to the nearest of the two gas stations in my town which have both air pumps and payphones. to call for assistance.

Everybody had to get cell phones when they deregulated the payphone industry. Suddenly payphones were not owned by the local Bell company, they were owned by some sketchy hole-in-the-wall operation you never heard of. And the payphones still took your money, but they didn’t actually make calls anymore because they were always broken. And The Free Market saw every thing that it had made, and, behold, it was very good.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.