Tom the Dancing Bug: Generation Gaps

Psssst!

There are four characters total in this comic, not just two.

The pair in the 1970’s are a different couple of people than the pair set in the present.

10 Likes

Yeah, I’m going with 4 different characters. Especially with the reaction in the last panel. That said, oh yes, this pretty much nails it.

9 Likes

I needs to, for my vanity. There’s no way that woman in the ‘23 version is 67, assuming the woman in the ‘73 version is a mere 17.
:wink:

11 Likes

Comment edited, since this salient point was already mentioned upthread.

7 Likes

From “A Day in Falsettoland” by William Finn:

[MENDEL]
I don’t get it.
I don’t understand.
In the '60s, everyone had a heart!
In the '60s, we all were part of the same team!
In the '60s, we had a new world to start!
Could this be…
Oh God, don’t say it’s…
Could this be the new world we started?

Here I sit, brokenhearted and…

1 Like

Oh, we care. But nobody listened.

Sad Winona Ryder GIF by Freeform

10 Likes

I’m so glad that BB includes the Gen-X emoji in its selection :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

It’s all this poisoned future gave us and we’re gonna use it!

:roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Our battle cry:

10 Likes

Welp, as a lie-about Gen-xer, I now need to spend the rest of my day watching Winona Ryder movies…Beetlejuice, Reality Bites, maybe round it out with a re-watch of some Stranger Things just to give it that inter-generational depth…can I give my boss your contact info when I need an excuse :wink:

9 Likes

Sure thing! Tell him it’s 1-800-SUCKIT.

6 Likes

Oh, so old fashioned! It’s a she. :joy:

6 Likes

star trek reptile GIF
What did I do to anyone?

3 Likes

I was thinking it could be my mum, who was born in '52 and was a hippy in the 60’s/70’s

4 Likes

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

8 Likes

I love clever comics.

7 Likes

… I’d guess it’s “Greatest Generation” father arguing with Boomer daughter in 1973, and Boomer father arguing with Millennial daughter in 2023

Silents and their Gen X kids and Gen Z grandkids may have to wait for another comic :confused:

8 Likes

Thanks. I forgot when the Silents were. Honestly, I truly… truly… believe beyond the most broad economic and social factors possible, most of the social concepts that we attach to the generations are complete pseudoscience and mythology not unlike astrology. By the time you get to like the Fourth Turning crap it’s basically…

So I definitely don’t spend much time thinking about them.

7 Likes

Kinda sorta disagree. I think the really huge social upheavals do mark certain generations. WWI (in Europe much more than here), The Great Depression, WWII, Viet Nam/Civil Rights, 9/11, I fear now Trump and the associated shitshow. But to try to make it into 10, 15, 20 year cycles is just nonsense.

3 Likes

to me they mark cohorts, people who experienced or were impacted by that in the most acute ways, and then those affected later through their parents, social change after, etc. That’s just history though. Whatever the adaptive strategy and whatever the consequences of a big social upheaval, they will be different for different people and unevenly distributed.

Different to be in Japan vs in Illinois, or even TX vs California, different to be experiencing a particular major event of social upheaval in more granular contexts like distinguishing between poor 8 yo in Yugoslavia and a wealthy 15 yo in Toronto as “gen x” though both might have been influenced by the same Hollywood movies, etc. Add in other factors and it starts to look like attaching too much social or economic meaning to the concept of generations works more by push to me.

5 Likes