TOM THE DANCING BUG: U.S. Income Inequality in Six Panels, featuring Lucky Ducky

As capitalism is being practiced today, the control of that property and means of production has been steadily shifting to an ever-shrinking portion of the population. Over the last few decades the gap between the rich and poor has grown into a chasm. This is no accident, nor is it an inevitability. It is the result of financial policy and tax codes which reward wealth for the sake of wealth and punish everyone else.

5 Likes

That’s why this concept is called ‘trickle down economy’ these days.

I always thought that term sounded like a euphemism for getting pissed on.

1 Like

Not in terms of labour or effort you don’t.

2 Likes

In an ideal world perhaps that would be the case. However in the real world it’s never worked that way.

Let me guess – you’re a high school senior who just read “Atlas Shrugged”? Have you finished “The Fountainhead” too?

4 Likes

If you read one, didn’t you just technically read the other at the same time?

2 Likes

Sadly yes. And what’s even sadder for me is that reading both of them (during high school) tells me that.

1 Like

It’s only sad if you read all of Galt’s radio speech after reading 300 pages of Darby’s non-radio speech.

By the time you get to the end of that book you’re already onboard or not and the speech isn’t going to change hearts or minds.

1 Like

Again, please elucidate how Mr. Romney put in > 1000 times than the average American. Explain how his wife contributed. Explain why a migrant farm worker deserves so much less.

3 Likes

That would be the ‘trickle’ bit.
All in all, a very accurate phrase, is it not?

Anyone in a medical world who is not working out of concern for their patients deserves to lose their license/job. Anyone in teaching who doesn’t care about their students should be fired. An engineer working on public projects who doesn’t care that human being could live or die by any carelessness should be fired. You should stop reading Ayn Rand and pay more attention to humanity.

3 Likes

Wow, could she have possibly reworded what that guy was saying in more inaccurate and obtuse way?

At least this Strawman sings:

2 Likes

I haaaaaaate hate hate hate the “picking winners and losers” meme. I hate hate hate that the right wing has tricked the left wing into accepting it and parroting it (inverted).

Government should not pick winners, absolutely.

Government should definitely pick losers, and it’s absurd to think otherwise.

Examples: Government should never try to decide which producer of corn syrup will receive huge taxpayer funded research grants and which auto manufacturer should be exempt from taxation. Such processes will always be corrupted and always have been. Government absolutely should ban murder-for-hire, deceptive advertising, poisonous breakfast cereals, highly polluting industries, etc. etc. etc. because choosing losers is something the market has always done poorly and always will.

By always lumping in “picking losers” with “picking winners” the plutocrats are shaping the debate so that they have an inherent advantage. Don’t fall for it; reject the meme.

Love Ruben’s comic, of course!

2 Likes

Spoken exactly like someone who did not bother to comprehend the argument presented. Next time, at least read the comic.

1 Like

That would be beautifully recursive. Maybe they could post blog comments deriding their own efforts to unionize.

1 Like

There’s no way to completely take government out of the “picking winners & losers” game without abdicating all responsibility for important things such as infrastructure. Want to build a highway? You’ve just picked cars as “winners” and horses as a “losers.” Want this or that metropolis to have a steady supply of potable water? City dwellers just became “winners” at the expense of somebody who wanted to irrigate some farm land.

The examples you’ve given actually could be entirely supplanted by non-government market activity, and often have been. (And personally I would prefer that governments not use force to steal water from farmers - let the city dwellers buy their water instead.)

You’re still probably right, though; it’s probably impossible to completely take government out of picking winners - but we should consider this a bad thing, and not something that should be lumped in with picking losers, which is a good thing.

Lumping together the banning of antisocial activities (like rape and murder and pollution) with the promotion of antisocial policies (like corporate welfare) and pretending these are basically two facets of the same thing is just not a good idea. Fight the meme, don’t use “picking losers and winners” in political conversations.

Roadways, water lines, sewers and other similar infrastructure are so-called “natural monopolies.” There aren’t going to be a bunch of different competing companies vying to run their own sewer lines or roads to your house, especially once there’s already one there. It’s not like you can switch water companies if they decided to triple your rates. The government doesn’t have to provide all those services, but it has to keep a short leash on the monopolies that do.

Buried within that statement is the unspoken premise that a farmer has a better legal claim on water source X than a thirsty city dweller does—even though I never mentioned which was upstream from the other. Friend, it looks like you just picked a winner and a loser!

1 Like

Absolutely the government has to regulate the marketplace. But that doesn’t mean we have to have the current system of endless taxpayer handouts to the super-rich… which is where government sponsorship of businesses always seems end up.

Apologies for leaping to conclusions on the water rights example - I have my own water sources, and periodically somebody wants the government to take away my water and ship it to various people living well beyond the carrying capacity of their local environment, so I am touchy about that. The so-called “human right to water” is a call for the total destruction of riparian environments like mine, that require abundant water, in order to temporarily alleviate the sufferings of people who are overpopulating arid areas. But enough whining about that!

The road to my house was built by private industry in 1825 with no government involvement, but the local government maintains it now with tax money. The government didn’t pick a winner, the community did, and the government is merely recognizing that choice.