TOM THE DANCING BUG: What Will Climate Change Deniers Say…?

If they ignored and denied all of the evidence for climate change, what would make anybody think that they won’t then ignore and deny every last drop of their own culpability ?

I’m convinced that a big part of why climate deniers are so religious, is because faith itself - and western christianity in particular - is one big fat fucking case of living in denial; A desperate belief that they’re not bigots, that they’re not misogynists, that they’re not going to hell, that they’re not superstitious rubes who ain’t one single solitary tick better than anybody else on the planet.

So, scrunching their eyes shut and hissing “No No No” just feels like what they’ve done all their lives. After all…When you’ve been raised and always praised for living a gigantic lie that has consumed a third of the world population, an all-enveloping lie for which you’ve never suffered any consequence - Well, what’s one more ? Even if it fucks everything up for everybody else ?

3 Likes

It is only certain areas of the Southern US that has them. I grew up in SW FL and never encountered one until I went to the Panhandle for Spring Break.
It would be a fair guess to say store locations have a high correlation with people who use words like “gubmint.”

You get an extra couple of points of internet karma for that spot-on “logic”.

1 Like

As are, apparently, your cars.

1 Like

I’ve never been able to find it online, but somewhere in my paper files I have a VERY OLD comic with a drawing of the curvature of the Earth and stick people with their arms in the air running away from a very large naked woman’s torso and legs with the line (quoting from memory) “When the Second Coming occurred, Christians were shocked to learn it was Astarte who returned.”

4 Likes

I recently completed an online survey for business leaders. I did it specifically to make sure at least one minority viewpoint was represented in the findings, but was horrified to discover exactly how skewed the “survey” itself was. Half of the questions were about how the ACA (at least they did call it by the right name) has affected and would affect business decisions, and ALL of the choices were negative. The other half of the questions were about how regulation was affecting business decisions, again with all the possible responses working off the assumption that regulation is bad. Choices were things like “will lay off workers” or “will move to another state with less regulation”, etc. Fortunately they did allow for “other” and a box to type in for many of the questions, so I made full use of that option when available.

They aren’t done spinning, by a long shot.

Piggly Wiggly was the first true self-service grocery store. It was founded on September 6, 1916, at 79 Jefferson Avenue in Memphis, Tennessee, by Clarence Saunders. A replica of the original store has been constructed in the Memphis Pink Palace Museum and Planetarium, a mansion that Saunders built as his private residence, and was later sold to the city.

I’ve never seen or shopped at a Piggly Wiggly in my life, but I’ve used their shopping bags!

I used to shop at a “used food store”* that didn’t have its own printed grocery bags. Instead they bought other stores’ bags, likely those of defunct chains and/or shuttered outlets.

• No, not used in that way. Used as in closed-out lines, failed varieites, old labels, holiday packaged food that was still in its freshness date but who is going to buy Frosted Flakes in a box with Tony the Tiger in a Santa suit in March, and so on.
1 Like

You know what climate change deniers will say? “I never denied climate change. What I said was…”

You know what everyone is going to forget? That REPUBLICANS were the Party of Climate Change Denial. Farmers in California being driven out of business by climate change are starting to believe in climate change, but they’ll still vote Republican.

2 Likes

You’re a little too late… in the USA at least.

Currently we spend utterly ridiculous amounts of taxpayer money to rebuild the seafront properties of the rich each time they wash away. I’d actually rather we paid to relocate them, it’d be cheaper.

Speaking from bitter experience, the more money you have the more eligible you are for high-dollar handouts from the government.

Good point. I, too, cannot understand why Ruben Bolling has to make an editorial cartoon out of everything.

I’d be less of a climate conservative if people would stop acting like anything like Firenados or economic collapse or flooding of either seaboards were just around the corner you wait and see. Or the shrieking of climate change for every blasted storm, hurricane, earthquake, fly fart and anything else weather related for the last 20 years as if any negative weather events never happened before the discovery of climate change.

I understand humans have an effect on climate, trust me I understand it better then some of those global climate change supporters. But a loud section of their camp has been crying end of the world since before I was born (70s global cooling panic) and again every 5 and 10 years since. One does get tired of the benchmark moving when things don’t happen like they predicted it would.

Give me good science that doesn’t ignore historical data (cough medieval warming period) that doesn’t allow the media to indulge in the usual end of the world just around the corner hysterics. Until then I’m tuning it all out.

Plus so many ignore how to change things to bitch about how we can’t force other countries to listen to them. A bunch of the US recycling programs aren’t even recycling. They just are funneling things back to the dump but letting people feel better about themselves. Less focus on the end of the world and more focus on things people can ACTUALLY do (more effort to help low income people weatherproof their homes, proper recycling programs, higher push on alternative energies including nuclear, etc…).

Really? I mean, really? Could you explain what aspect of your training or career has put you in a position to make that claim?

It’s the same cry because it’s the same problem, except now we’re 30 years deeper in the hole, to the point where we have hit the point of no return: even if we do everything possible starting today, we still won’t be able to stop at least some permanent damage to our ecosystem moving forward.

2 Likes

I don’t deny climate change. I oppose what some people are trying to accomplish in the name of the consequences and alledged dangers of climate change.

We have 7+ billion people on the planet right now. In my lifetime I remember when it was a huge deal when we hit the 5 billion mark. It wasn’t that long ago, actually. Mid to late 80s maybe? We, as humans, are changing the ever-living fuck out of everything on this planet. Climate included. Humans change stuff: Get used to it, or get over it.

Speaking of the late eighties:

I remember the exact same thing being said about ozone layer depletion and CFCs, the huge hole in the ozone layer above the arctic circle? That if we quit using CFCs right then and there (mid to late 80s?) the problem would still be getting worse for the next hundred years or so, due to the rate at which the CFCs rise into the whateversphere.

That “hole in the ozone layer” was roughly equivalent, in validity, as that of the “texas sized island of garbage” floating in the ocean. Somewhere. Somewhere.

Speaking of the 70s (mid to late). I remember seeing a movie at the theater called “Day of the Animals”: the plot was that the animals off in the woods or a state park somewhere (and then people) all turned crazy and vicious due to (yep) ozone layer depletion frying everyone’s brains. Bad SciFi/Horror starring Leslie Neilsen? Sure. Scaremongering that makes its way into our collective psyche? Definitely.

Finally, again speaking of the 70s (early 70s this time). I also remember the PBS public service announcements about mountains of trash, burning bays (Boston maybe?), babies peeling and eating lead-paint strips off the wall like they were potato chips, roads choked with trash and Iron Eyes Cody, the Jewish (correction: Italian) Injun, crying (and probably rusting) his Iron Eyes out. That was real, the trash I mean, here in America. We were dumping everywhere, anywhere, and with no end in site. Things are better now. They could be even mo’ better, but the thing is this: Ruben Bolling isn’t telling the whole story, or even part of it, with his divisive, lame-assed kneejerk “mock the straw man / stereotype” strips each week. And this newest strip is no exception. When folks like Bolling hammer away at various issues (in this case, with “climate change SQUAWK climate change”) they seem to take not agreeing to be outright disagreement. There is a difference. Case in point:

Crazy Cat Lady: “Everyone should spend all of their income on taking care of homeless cats”

Joe Lunchpail: “But I can’t do that. If I spent all of my income on tending to homeless cats, I couldn’t pay for my home or my car or my food or my clothes. I’d lose my job. I would then be broke and homeless and wouldn’t be able to take care of one homeless cat, let alone every homeless cat in the country. Sure, we should take care of homeless cats, but we have to do it responsibly, and in moderation.”

Crazy Cat Lady: “YOU HATE CATS!!!”

Now add to that “you’re a confederate-cap wearing American-flag-lovin’ fat bald fuckhead and should burn in hell for hating cats” (or for “destroying the planet”, rather.) What hogwash. Because some of us don’t agree 100% with and completely tow the Climate Change party line, we are destroying the planet? Think about that for a second. Because that’s what this strip (and even some commenters here) is/are essentially saying: Climate Change deniers are bringing about the destruction of the planet simply by…not believing in it to the degree that Climate Change adherents want them to? By not agreeing that it (Climate Change) is dogma. Undeniable, inarguable fact, to whatever degree is decided by the adherents, pre-argument?

That’s fanaticism. And scary as hell, coming from the “rational” side. Irrational rationalism, perhaps?

What does the Fox (newscaster) say?
glub glub glub glub glub glub.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.