Tone indicators and the ever-evolving quest to clarify what we're saying online

Anyone who works somewhere like the NYT is going to be highly literate, and well aware of how overmatched written language already is to these supposed problems. So when they write stuff like this, it’s hard not to detect a tone of condescension or veiled sneering (“look, Rutherford, the proles have invented another new crutch to try to understand subtext! Wait ‘til I tell the fellows at my club about this one”).

Here’s the thing about tone: if it was a concrete, conscious thought, and the writer meant to make it clear, they would have done so in the first place.

What makes neurotypical people hard to understand is that they send and receive messages that they themselves aren’t conscious of. If you ask people to explicitly flag what non-verbal cues they think they’re sending, their guess probably isn’t even as good as yours.

This “tone indicators” business reminds me of a trope I’ve seen a couple of times on TV where a high-functioning autistic person has to refer to a chart of facial expressions (an hilarious joke). IDK if this has some basis in reality, but either way it’s pretty insulting. Autistic folks can see expressions just fine, and may even be better than most at consciously decoding them, out of necessity. The problem is that normal people don’t have to expend conscious effort processing those signals.

I can see the good intention here, but I am pretty sure the solution misdiagnoses the problem. And if the practice became common, it could easily become yet another vector for misunderstandings and bad faith.

For my money, anyone who thinks they need this could better spend their time just working on their reading and writing.

5 Likes

FYI: Neurodiversity doesn’t mean only autism. I have ADHD, OCD, prosopagnosia, and a few other arcane traits that are extremely divergent from neurotypical people. There are undeniably people out there for which this will help. But as bobtato says, it’ll unlikely be used in a fashion that would consistently serve that purpose.

Agree with you on the likelihood that they’ll be a crutch for many… that said, I thought the same about emojis and I’ve seem some rather creative use for them (such as a search mechanism for stickers in Telegram).

Though I’m still confused as to which definition of literally /li stands for…

3 Likes

I was literally wondering that same thing! /s
:wink:
/li

4 Likes

Do two /s intensify the sarcastic tone? Or cancel each other out, as in kidding-not-kidding?

2 Likes

My wife already uses these, which is how I know you can also nest them.

I'm so turned on by you. (/sx (/hyp (/f)))
3 Likes

Who cares what tone the author intended? The great thing about the Internet is that you can read it with any tone you want.

2 Likes

7 Likes

How on earth can we police this?

12 Likes

Hey, I’m not sure I like your tone!

13 Likes

12 Likes

Accidentally used -s instead of /s, and accidentally changed my post’s attributes to a system file.

9 Likes
9 Likes

This article has given me a lot to think about in terms of where I stand when I ramble on in my aimless posts…
~

I feel like these tone indicators will be also be useful when I’ve uploaded my consciousness to the Amazon, Google, Microsoft or Apple cloud, which will all likely have their signature tones I’ll have to adopt in exchange for the free immateriality of existence.

On a different note, I’ve always equated the * with an ASMR whisper.

4 Likes

*leans closer to hear better

8 Likes

*taps finger nails on ceramic

4 Likes

Such familiar ground. In the 70s, the APAs were all trying to figure out how to say things that were meant to be taken wrong without having them taken wrong. How to tell your friend “You’re an asshole!” in such a way that nobody will ding you for it?

“AHA! I HAVE IT!” said the best and brightest, and proudly revealed little initialisms that stood in for phrases meant to ameliorate whatever thing you just had to say: “HHOK” (Ha Ha Only Kidding), “JK” (Just Kidding), “NKN” (Not Kidding, Not), “S,AS” (Smiling, Always Smiling), and so on.

And what a relief it was! No longer would we have to craft our words carefully to ensure as far as possible how they would be taken! Nor would we have to defend our unartful words, because we said right up front “I AM MAKING FUNNY THE JOKE LAUGH NOW HA HA HA HA!” so what are those humorless gits whinging about?

And so it went. There were also informal conventions, such as The Three Dots Of Irony. At the end of the sentence, they make what you say delightfully whimsical… Employed in the middle, they give a certain… cliche… quality to your utterances. (Oh, sorry “cliche” is supposed to be profound there, as usual.)

Now we have the ultimate in canned self-laffs, the sarcasm tag. A brilliant thing. [Like, I could use one right here. GET IT??] It tells the alert reader “I AM BEING HUMOROUS NOW” and warns them “YOU CAN NOT REPLY TO THIS IN ANY WAY OR I WILL POINT TO THE TAG AND IMPLY THAT YOU ARE DEVOID OF THE FUNNY.” It cues the laughter and starts it off itself. It avoids all responsibility, even as it pulls its own teeth out.

Typical usage (seen in the field): “I hate him so much. He’s an asshole! /s”

A friend once was holding down the post of Biggest Curmudgeon in a Usenet forum of self-anointed mavericks, and one of his fans there replied to a post with “ROTFLMAO!!!” and his response was

FOF!!! SCOBBLE!!! ZIVITORFF!!!

Words to live by, even if humorless BBS software took out 9/10 of the exclamation points that were so vital to the flavor of the original.

In conclusion, I quote myself:

We Need a Sarcasm Font

People are saying we need a sarcasm font, and we do. But that’s not enough. We also need a hyperbole font, and an amphibole font, a just-kidding-around font, a totally sincere font (no, really!), a font for kidding on the square, a whimsical font, a font for pretending you believe something you really don’t, a font for a modest intro, and a font for the crushing conclusion.

We need a reductio ad absurdum font, an ad hominem font, a begging-the-question font, and a straw-man font. We need a font for mild irony, and we need one for …heavy… irony. We need a patronizing font, a placating font, an impassioned font, an apathetic font.

We need a font for knock-knock jokes, for I’m-the-Guys, and Little Willies. We need a font for quoting from Peanuts, the Simpsons, Monty Python, and They Might Be Giants. We need a font for quiet resignation, a font for defiance, and a font for feigned cluelessness.

We need a font for flat-out lying.

Some will say we should use words to convey these things, but the fact is we need all these fonts. We need them every bit as much as we need a sarcasm font.

[Edited to counteract unasked-for automated text change.]

3 Likes

ezgif-4-26102a5fc839

5 Likes

The usual way.

" Better Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"

$ \)-
sh: )-: not found

… only works with real smileys…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.