Trailer for The Color Out Of Space

Raising Arizona.

6 Likes

It’s an adaptation of the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer. More of a study in can we truly understand something properly alien. It felt more in common with Roadside Picnic from the Strugatsky brothers.

10 Likes

They’re all members of the “alien enclave forbidden zone” microgenre as far as I’m concerned.

3 Likes

I can’t really imagine Lovecraft stories working as movies. To me the mystical ‘half definedness’ (if you get my drift) of the aliens/ancient ones/dangers is the largest part of the appeal, and that works so much better in text where your brain makes up the image.

10 Likes

I had the same reaction.

Lovecraft: The colour… was almost impossible to describe; and it was only by analogy that they called it colour at all.

VFX Producer: So, purple then?

17 Likes

I’m surprised that the movie isn’t just titled “Color” in the spirit of stupid one-word titles that seem to be the norm.

Many are as dorky as you might imagine; pretty much any of his stories that involve ancient gods that are vaguely described (because you’re not supposed to even look at them without losing sanity) come off as pretty hokey on screen. But then there’s classics like Re-Animator or From Beyond that work due to the sheer conviction of the people on both sides of the camera.
frbyd_stl_7_h

5 Likes

“It’s beautiful! So… beautiful!”

4 Likes

“Only good short story” yeah sure whatever. You don’t like his stuff fine but please whatever you can’t deny the cultural impact of his oeuvre. Personally I find this story to be one of the weaker ones. Still excited as I think Nicholas Cage is perfect for a movie like this.

8 Likes

“Only good short story.” ???
Yeah, go fuck yourself. You MUST have known, when typing that, that you’d receive shit for saying such an asinine thing. Seriousl, wtf.

7 Likes

Have you seen Die Farbe? It’s a European (Spanish? EDIT: Oh, German. mk. looked it up) adaptation of the story. VERY good. … it’s black and white :wink:

5 Likes

Ooh, I’ll have to check it out!

Apparently The Curse was supposed to be an adaptation of it as well. It’s in color. And stars Wil Wheaton. And also kind of gives up on the whole color thing.

4 Likes

Ouch.

In their book Lurker in the Lobby: A Guide to the Cinema of H. P. Lovecraft , Andrew Migliore and John Strysik write: “This third feature film treatment of [Lovecraft’s] favorite story, “The Colour Out of Space”, has it all… everything except good dialog, believable acting, and a cohesive plot.”[5]

ETA: Just to be clear this quote is about The Curse.

4 Likes

I thought Mandy was an excellent film, actually. But then again, I’m a fan of low budget schlock-fests that it was influenced by… YMMV of course.

4 Likes

IIRC I started The Curse but couldn’t handle more than like 10 or 15 min of it LOL

1 Like

OH! Not out until Jan 24th? I thought it had already been released.
Well! I guess that explains why I haven’t been able to find it anywhere online yet. LOL

1 Like

Oooh, this is 4th time they have filmed this story. The last one was a low budget direct to video quickie and transplanting the story to post-war Germany.

Previous versions:
Die! Monster Die! with Nick Adams and Boris Karloff
The Curse with Wil Wheaton
The Color out of Space (2010)

3 Likes

Try Color out of Space (2010). It is a fairly faithful adaption and not well known.

4 Likes

He is the default face set with the DeepFake package. coincidence?

3 Likes

Would maybe prefer “The Curse of Wil Wheaton”.

3 Likes