Trailer for The Color Out Of Space

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/07/trailer-for-the-color-out-of-s.html

7 Likes

I’d probably watch that but I don’t approve of this trailer (or most others). Why not just, like, play the whole movie at 60x speed? It’d be cheaper and undermine the movie less.

4 Likes

I didnt know Lovecraft had any good short story.
But now its probably ruined by Nick Cage isnt it?

2 Likes

Or saved by Tommy Chong.

8 Likes

H.P. Lovecraft’s only good short story

I was going to say, arguable on several levels.

3 Likes

I’ll see it just for Tommy.

5 Likes

Or sued by T Mobile for trademark violation use of pink/magenta. The Color Out of Use.

32 Likes

I may watch it on DVD but really the movie Die Monster Die! with Boris Karloff and Nick Adams is enough of a mangling of the story.

3 Likes

Does Tommy know he’s in a movie? Or was this just Thursday to him?

6 Likes

Yeah. Lovecraft is a cornerstone of 20th century horror for a good reason.

Color is one of his best stories, though, no question about that.

11 Likes

Given the “Mandy” connection here, possibly hugely improved by Nick Cage. Hard to say. But I’d think a story of people losing their minds due to space color is right in his wheelhouse.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t mind Nick Cage picking up the mantle from Jeffrey Combs as a go-to actor for Going Nuts in Lovecraft Films.

9 Likes

8 Likes

Not necessarily.
Adaptation, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, Matchstick Men; these are good movies in my estimation.

5 Likes

“Only” good short story? Fuck off.

9 Likes

Gives me a real “Annihilation” vibe in some parts. Now that was a movie that knew how to do “cosmic horror”.

1 Like

Apparently the colour out of space is… purple?

2 Likes

Actually, I’ve often thought about how this could be filmed, and I came to the conclusion that the only right way to do it would be to shoot it in black and white, so that you didn’t get to see what the mysterious indescribable colo(u)r is.

Then Futurama pulled this exact trick in the Fleischer and Lantz sequence of Reincarnation.

10 Likes

Isn’t ‘Annihilation’ commonly considered to be an adaptation of ‘Colour Out of Space’?

And Lovecraft used ‘colour’, not ‘color’. :wink:

4 Likes

He’s saying to Nic Cage…

freightners-territorial-bubble

Also, we need more Jeffery Combs in more things. They should probably do a film together…

Yeah, but this is America, and we’d never hear the end of it if they used colour instead of color…

7 Likes