Transgenderism in speculative fiction

Huh, I was misinformed, then. Must have made up the rest of the memory from whole cloth.

1 Like

OMG, that is SUCH a great movie. She is the BOMB!

2 Likes

OK, I just found this out on a discussion in Making Light, and though it’s quite not on topic, I had to bring it over here:

Heinlein specifically wrote Rod Walker, the hero of his juvenile Tunnel in the Sky, as black. He had wanted to make him obviously so, but his editor at Scribners wouldn’t allow it on the grounds that it would get it banned in the South. While he left out any direct statement to that effect in the book, Heinlein wrote in a letter that he was black, and that he had “buried” some subtle but clear clues. One of the other major characters, Carol, is a Zulu, and Jo Walton noticed that Rod, describing her to his sister, says “She looks a bit like you.” (Note also: black female major character who’s a complete kickass as a hunter and a fighter.)

5 Likes

What is this from? (Sorry, I’m pretty illiterate on the last few decades of movies.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 663 days. New replies are no longer allowed.