Transparency - changes to the BBS

The difficulty of preparing bath water often meant that the same water might be used for a whole family’s bath, and the baby was frequently bathed last. At this point, the bath water might be quite dirty and might obscure view of the baby. A mother wouldn’t want to mistakenly discard the baby with the dirty, murky water — not that this was likely to occur.

18 Likes

If life is truly “transactional”, you are always paying and being paid, whether you are aware of it or not. Whether or not one’s pet symbol-system accurately reflects this is an entirely different problem.

2 Likes

Can’t tell if sarcasm or not.

Anyway, if he’s gonna make an exit, he should make an exit.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, remember how hard @Cowicide had to push for his self ban?

15 Likes

Nope, 100% sincere. It feels like a huge loss.

5 Likes

So many huge losses though.

This is the Red Wedding: BBS Edition

21 Likes

I just noticed this thread. Like many I am disappointed with this change. I do really appreciate @orenwolf commitment to the community and so will keep an open mind about this change.

But the only thing I see this changing is that there won’t be a group of people here that feels the deep level of commitment that there used to be. I guess that was the problem last week. A clash between regulars that had a deep sense of commitment and “ownership” and the authors/mods who actually own the place.

The message I see from this action is: read some posts, make a few comments, buy something in the store and move along. No one is special regardless of how involved or committed a person is to the community. We don’t want that level of commitment because then people get all emotional about this place and cause a ruckus eventually.

Change is inevitable. Regular status and semi-private areas are going away. They could come back or some other variation could be tried in the future.

meh.

19 Likes

I disagree. I do consider the community to be special. I take it as a personal burden of trust to ensure that those who have been here for ages (either because they’ve been here for a long time, or they’ve been here everyday) are recognized for their involvement. I appreciate that community. But this needs to be done while still allowing for transparent discussion here on the BBS, and without unnecessarily dividing of the community into “ins” and “outs”.

I am open to any suggestion for recognition that does not involve a private, exclusive area for only one part of the community to post in.

9 Likes

I don’t agree, but many appear to see it this way:

I don’t see posting to the blog instead of the BBS as any kind of privilege. If anything, it is more limiting. All of us who post here are authors. Our commitment to discussion - here as well as elsewhere - is what creates culture, and cultural capital. Social life is essentially participatory, and I see that process of participation as being encouraged here, for the most part.

8 Likes

It’s pretty clear they don’t give a damn about recognition and only care about the private space.

If you want to do recognition just use your algorithm to post a trust score.

4 Likes

we’re all filthy n00bs, now

8 Likes

In honour of the fallen threads.

9 Likes

Just throwing this out there but… what if “regular” (or “member”) status was granted to people who’ve reached a simple low threshold, such as 30 days or 10 posts, and until that time, new posters were limited to responding to threads based on articles on the BB homepage. Threads created by members or mods for general discussion would be open to people who’ve at least minimally proven they aren’t drive-by trollies or astroturf puppets. It seems like when it comes to private space, it’s not that people want to hide from other regular members, it’s that they don’t necessarily want to tell the story of their private lives to an angry trolley from Breitbart who just made an account to yell KEK a lot.

17 Likes

That’s 100% true. Goofy titles or fancy colors don’t mean a thing. I’ll go out on a limb and bet that very few regulars here are children. This isn’t a videogame forum. Most of us have jobs and/or driver licenses and/or spouses, and even those who don’t are used to being treated like responsible, respectable adults.

The Lounge wasn’t meant to be a cliquish reward akin to the public space on Mercury in the Destiny videogame, accessible only to those who are truly elites at the game. And that’s not at all how it operated. It was a haven from trollishness, from noise, from the relative cacophony of the BBS at large.

It was therapeutic. By now you’ve heard many testaments to this. Nuking it was a mistake, and one that won’t do anything to improve matters on the BBS. How could it?

29 Likes

I’ve got no skin in this game, so I’m not going to comment too much on how I feel about what has transpired.

From what I gather, I’m just too stingy with my likes to have gotten a chance to glimpse the secret halls of regular. (by golly, if it’s going to stamp my approval on something, I’m going to carefully consider every one of them.)

In other online communities, I generally opt-out of being “active” because doing so feels (to me, personally) too much like spamming and otherwise sticking my thumb in everyone’s pudding. Around here I’ve began, revised, and abandoned at least 3x as many replies/topics as I ultimately submitted. (I even de-like things semi-regularly)

Ultimately, I think I would have joined and even appreciated the regulars community if qualification was treated as a privilege to be lost, more assumed than “earned”. If moderation is more open and active, perhaps the “normal” community here can become something like that. (edited to add emph)

12 Likes

Please know I have nothing but respect for you. You have consistently been fair and transparent. You keep an even head when people (authors and members) get crazy. My comments are not an attack on you but just how I am left feeling. Ive been around long enough to know that online communities go through these cycles. Sometimes they survive and sometimes they don’t. I will shake off this melancholy and hope for nothing but the best. I don’t plan to jump ship. I will continue to try and add to the community.

Does it need to be all or nothing? I get that it’s fair for moderation to in the open. Why should I be able to call out a possible trolley but not another member that hasn’t made regular status?

My concern is more about the regular threads about personal subjects. For example the relationships thread. I was actually planning to write a lengthy post there sharing some personal things that I have been struggling with. But now I won’t make that post and I won’t have interactions with others here that is more substantial than making fun of the latest GOP gaff. Having a somewhat private area fosters interactions that are deeper and more significant than what you will find on a areas in full view of the public.

I see that one can create PM groups. I guess that will be the thing now. The tough thing will be how and who ever gets invited to these cliques once they form. I think the barrier to entry will be higher than that of regular status and will come down to who you know rather than your behavior here on the BBS.

Time will tell. I’m going to go out into meat space for awhile and have some lunch.

22 Likes

We can definitely have a conversation around that sort of thing, for sure. Discourse offers us quite a few tools for helping us decide when someone really wants to be a “member” of the community. I’m not against the idea of changing the definition of TL1 (new member) so that trollies are a little more discouraged from putting in effort to be allowed to post in community-created topics.

7 Likes

Let me be clear about this. I completely understand the sentiment here. I have been personally lamenting the fact that some of the methods I’ve enjoyed to start personal relationships (and even marriages!) in my life, including the likes of IRC, online gaming, etc., are no longer true communities in the sense they once were. Their loss is our loss, and I sincerely hope that something will appear again to fill that void.

But the BBS, as with all commenting systems for Boing Boing before it, had a goal of creating an equal place for all who are willing to abide by our community guidelines, and that necessitates public discourse. It was our mistake to fail to realize the effect that a private area would have. a small, tight-knit community grew within, and while I believe that community is strong enough to exist as part of the larger BBS, I do entirely understand that this comes with a necessary loss of privacy that a public space can never really provide.

I’ve offered in the past to host a private space for those who feel they cannot participate in a public BBS. That offer still stands, but I genuinely hope that instead the community will try and come together in the spirit of equality, rather than divide off and move even further from the public arena.

13 Likes

I agree - if it exists at all it needs to be merit based (and demerit lost) though I would caution against a removal process that allows for mob rule.

2 Likes

I think you misspelled “wretched hive of scum and villainy.”

21 Likes