Transparency - changes to the BBS

16 Likes

I take it the banquets you attended never had a ā€œkids tableā€? (Which was always the more fun place to be, mind you but letā€™s not get too wrapped up in that aspect.)

4 Likes

I feel like I should chime in here, as someone who has never made regular but still been part of the community for a long time. Right? Posters here have some vague familiarity with me? Fine, whatever, but I think someone should try to offer a tl2 perspective.

And if thatā€™s me, well, Iā€™m not sure what this is fixing. Thereā€™s no question youā€™re right that Iā€™m left on a lesser tier. But while I can say Iā€™ve been interested in the regular areas, Iā€™ve rarely resented them, not when access is plainly earned through posters investing a great deal in this place. Iā€™m always going to be more of an outsider than people who pay close attention to all aspects of the community here, whether that happens through PMs, private groups, or is hidden among the public posts.

The only times itā€™s been a real concern has been when thereā€™s been some sort of terrible upset, as at present, and I greatly appreciate your decision to make sure the moderation discussion is accessible. But, you know, regulars have been generous to fill me on what was going on, and itā€™s mostly concerning when they donā€™t know either.

If it is appropriate to mention the present bans, for instance, it didnā€™t actually take much to understand that ModusOperandi was suspended for going against rules, and others that argued with moderation got suspended as well. What wasnā€™t answered was how it was possibly thought fair to give a wonderful poster like OtherMichael a decade ban, or to list ā€œasked for itā€ as a ban reason on posters who didnā€™t actually go willingly, and what might happen around that. I canā€™t know whatā€™s been said in the lounge, but it sure doesnā€™t feel like people have found answers there either.

So to me, thatā€™s the crisis that needs to be addressed, and this isnā€™t really part of it. Now, I realize I have no idea what Iā€™m actually missing, so maybe all of this is badly off the mark. But again, if this is a compromise to the tl3s being done for us tl2s, I figured you should hear from at least one of us.

56 Likes

Snark and drinking gifs mostly.

33 Likes

Only if you ask nicely.

:wink:

12 Likes

That certainly looks plausible; and more numbers = more objective.

That said; itā€™s a trifle dispiriting to learn that your difficulties in expressing a full emotional range in high-uncertainty natural language contexts apparently donā€™t go away even when a handy, more or less binary, expressive mechanism is introduced. And those numbers sure are stark. Sorry, people I really ought to have liked; itā€™s easier said than done, for reasons unclear to me.

7 Likes

FYI: Nope, nada.

15 Likes

This is part of what kept the Lounge from actually getting cliquish: any fool who spent enough time around the BBS and met the I/O requirements, no matter their philosophy, gender, religion, hairstyle, or body odor issues, was allowed in.

I disagree that it was a poor choice. Most of those discussions were about how to improve the overall BBS user experience, and when those discussions took place in the Lounge, they were between people who used the BBS more than anyone else. The ones who cared most about it operating smoothly and fairly. The ones who had gone to a little bit of effort to demonstrate that they cared enough about the joint to consistently read and post and comment for an extended period of time. Why would it be a mistake to leave the vast multitudes of casual users and drive-bys out of the custodial conversations? How many of 'em would be even interested enough to participate in them, and yet fall short of Regular status?

Iā€™m personally not harmed by the loss of the Lounge other than that Iā€™m gonna miss it and I, too, canā€™t post as freely outside of it (especially about work and my wee window into Hollywood gossip, for whatever thatā€™s worth). Iā€™m glad older Lounge stuff wonā€™t be made public, though I do hope those threads will be locked rather than deleted, so maybe we who posted there can still go back and view them?

Anyway, this strikes me as a strange mixture of messages. For ages now, weā€™ve been encouraged to participate in the community by flagging. That implies that somebody wants us to take enough pride and ownership in the community to keep the sidewalks clean of dog turds and offensive flyers. At the same time, weā€™ve lately been discouraged from harboring any illusions that we have any actual stake in the place, that our presence is appreciated, that our care for the community matters.

Ainā€™t gonna have it both ways. The 2-tiered structure isnā€™t the important issue here. Keep it or junk it, whatever floats the landlordā€™s boat.

But if you want the communityā€™s help in keeping this an awesome place, then how about encouraging people to appreciate the members who consistently bring the awesome. They donā€™t need stupid badges. They donā€™t even need super-exclusive treehouses.

A modicum of respect sure would be great, though.

61 Likes

I never liked worrying about stuff like that.

Iā€™d better Like some stuff today, or Iā€™ll lose Regular status.

Iā€™d better log in every day, or Iā€™ll lose Regular status.

Not like I have much of a life anyway but these are nudges in the wrong direction. I was thinking about asking to be locked at TL2 before any of this happened just for my own mental health.

18 Likes

That post you just wrote: truly, genuinely, very well said. You have my thanks.

35 Likes

A day without you wonderful crazies? Unpossible!

14 Likes

This post is part of my attempt to provide exactly that. As will, I hope, my moderation choices (and willingness to discuss them) going forward.

16 Likes

So are the existing Regular accessible threads now blocked to all, or has the removal of access started? I was in the Lounge for the first time in a week or two and ran a search in it, only to find that I no longer have access to it. Canā€™t see any other topics like Hey Rube either.

I get closing it in this regards, but removing them entirely seems a shame (unless Iā€™ve just been slack and been de-Regularised, in which case, carry on).

6 Likes

Re: Deep Cliques

I donā€™t want to go through Rush week to join a frat. I want to be a fucking wierdo and show up at the same bar everyday and people have to accept me because Iā€™m part of the scenery.

34 Likes

I mean, @Max_Blancke got Regular status, for goodness sake and most of us have butted heads with him at one time or another. Yet, the world didnā€™t end.

30 Likes

Unfortunately, I donā€™t think thereā€™s a way to provide access to them going forward. Thatā€™s the part Iā€™m personally most saddened by, but if the choice is ā€œopen to allā€ or ā€œprotect the privacy of those who posted beliving the audience to be a specific groupā€, I have to defend the latter.

9 Likes

I love this analogy.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s a shame. Certainly the lesser of two evils (and I canā€™t say if Iā€™d necessarily even utilise that function were it to exist) but there you go.

Thanks for responding to everyone in here, by the way. Canā€™t be fun for you

19 Likes

But the Ultra-Lounge stays, right?

22 Likes

Iā€™m guessing in the morning this will suck just as much as it does now. And I really donā€™t think this is going to make anything better at all. But really I do respect the decision. I hate it. But respect it.

14 Likes