Trump Media shares fall after it posts $327.6 million loss for first quarter

If you are interested in financial and deal news, you should read Matt Levine’s excellent newsletter Money Stuff. His view is that this is basically a meme stock way to bet on or show support for Trump. Kind of like GameStop or AMC but for an asshole.

3 Likes

At the risk of being a sweet summer child - wouldn’t the regulators and stock market be interested in finding out what is going on? Doesn’t listing on the market require certain levels of oversight?

4 Likes

You’d think… and maybe someone will legally scrutinize this, eventually, given how transparent it is, but those involved may also be avoiding breaking the few laws that regulators do actually enforce.

3 Likes

I guess it depends on what return investors are looking for?

images

6 Likes

The SEC already fined them once.

Assuming the quarterly reporting is accurate and reporting correct losses, that’s more likely what the SEC would be concerned with. They report they’re loosing money and people buy the stock anyway, that’s fine. If they reported false information, misleading people about the financial conditions instead, then the SEC would be more concerned.

5 Likes

Despite all of this, it’s still up ~17.38% this month, and up 3.8% just today. For which I am thankful, because I am buying Puts. I believe the bottom will fall out, and it will be spectatular. Cheers!

1 Like

I’m curious to know what kind of timeframe you’re counting on for your bet. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Sure, aiming for Jan 2025. Plenty of time for this to sht the bed :rofl:

2 Likes

Keep Going GIF by MOODMAN

Check your market’s rules, but I watched a colleague lose a chunk when his puts were outright cancelled, no value returned, because the underlying company went bust.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.