Tucker Carlson argues with Bill Nye about climate change

I’m pretty sure he meant one of these:

My grandpa’s old land yacht. I LOL’d.

8 Likes

That would probably backfire. As a science educator, Bill’s job isn’t to come to political conclusions. It’s to provide facts and explain how scientists arrive at those facts. It would undercut Bill’s credibility as a scientist if he waded into politics (“See? He’s not interested in science; he just hates [insert trope here; i.e., business, Republicans, ordinary Americans]”.) Although it’s unlikely Tucker’s audience would believe Bill, anyway, but he’s trying to convince the convincable middle, not the die-hard right.

2 Likes

Given that these fools appear to believe the oil companies are perfectly honest, perhaps they should watch the documentary film Shell made in 1991

5 Likes

I like your imagery.

1 Like

Point well made.

And further, and most crucially, AGW being real has nothing whatsoever to do with Bill Nye being or not being a scientist[1] We’re not supposed to take his word for it. He’s just doing what the asshat named Tucker[2] accused him of doing: he’s popularizing science. Without much success, granted, because some heads are just too insulated to get any facts in them.

[1] And what kind of a ass-backwards argument-from-authority is that, anyway? I am a practicing research scientist but Nye knows way more about AGW than I do 'cos that’s not nearly my field.
[2] “There was once a man named Tucker and he nearly deserved it, too.” :slight_smile:

Tucker suffers from resting dope face.

15 Likes

I wonder how this one embeds?

8 Likes

Designed to be that way right? Standard procedure would have been to feign debilitative, physical injury if the opponent points out the transference. And of course, critical thought on anything they say, no matter how deliberately insulting and designed to derail it is, provides them reason enough to continue to do evil even, no, especially when they realise they are wrong.

They cannot be engaged with in good faith.

Fucking period.

*goes for a walk :wink:

3 Likes

…said pretty much everyone who has worn a bow tie.

I’m sure you’re a good guy, and I genuinely enjoy your comments but I’ve come to realize that the only people who look good in bow ties are elderly gentlemen and Pee Wee Herman.

3 Likes

I physically have the correct build for it. I can wear a bowtie without looking like a gorilla in a suit… but that still doesn’t mean I don’t look ridiculous :wink:

3 Likes

The problem here is that Bill Nye is not able to sustain his cause in such an aggressive conversation. He seems frail, insecure and emotional. For Fox’s viewers, he is clearly the loser in this debate.

1 Like

I’m glad Bill O’Reilly is finally starting to warn people about political pundits and economists.

2 Likes

Wow. Mr Nye is way more patient than I am. I would have strangled Carleson after about 3 seconds.

2 Likes

Counterexamples:

…Admittedly, some of the other Bonds couldn’t pull them off nearly as well, which is why I’m only posting Connery and Craig.

9 Likes

I’m sure you look good in a bow tie and I apologize for my comment. I regretted it immediately after posting because in retrospect it seemed like a jerky thing for me to say. I was wrong. More power to you, sir!

4 Likes

The others could pull it off. The problem is they leave it on.

4 Likes

No worries:

5 Likes

Look, I loves me my Bill Nye, and I hates the nasty Tucker Carlsonses, but Nye really didn’t do anybody any favors with this interview.

Nye kept repeatedly returning to “not being able to grow wine grapes in England” when asked what the Earth would be like without anthropogenic climate change. Why was he being so elliptical? Just say, the Earth would be 1.5º C cooler, the seas would be 2 feet lower. Then say: looking ahead, we forecast that, in 30 years, we’ll double all the changes we’ve caused in the last 200: it will be another 1.5º C hotter, and the oceans will be another 2 feet higher. And scientists think another 15 years after that, it will happen again. [These figures are made up-- fill-in what the actual science says.]

Carlson, for all his douchiness and attempts to score denier bulletpoints, really was throwing some softballs to Nye, which Nye seemed to whiff over and over again. He was confusing me, and I’m on his side. To a denier, Nye must’ve looked completely goofy/unpersuasive.

1 Like

Just from his experience I’d say he was as much a scientist as any person with a degree in one of the “official sciences” who doesn’t do research (and there are plenty of them who no longer do research but are up to date, follow the literature, etc.). And the line between science and engineering isn’t as clear-cut as you might thing. It’s a spectrum from science to applied science to engineering. Plenty of engineers have contributed to the scientific literature, and plenty of scientists have drifted into engineering.

In relative terms, though, Bill Nye is to Tucker as a mountain is to an extra atom on an otherwise atomically smooth surface. Scientifically speaking.

3 Likes