Tucker Carlson thought anti-elite historian would be an easy interview, but ended up telling him "go fuck yourself"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/21/rutger-bregman.html

16 Likes

I guess he hit a bit of a nerve, huh?

42 Likes

57 Likes

But Bregman was capable of understanding that just because Carlson thought he was on Bregman’s side, it didn’t follow that Bregman should be on Carlson’s side

That Carlson assumed at all that Bregman was on his side indicates how ignorant and stupid he is. All populism is not the same, despite its defining anti-elitism. It’s become increasingly clear that Carlson has cynically decided to throw his lot in with right-wing version (and the white nationalism and anti-intellectualism that accompanies it in the West), which (it should be obvious) would horrify Bregman.

What hit the nerve most of all is that Bregman masterfully and with great humour wrested control of the interview from Carlson and turned it on him, which the latter is not used to. For all his recent ersatz anti-elitism, Carlson is just another right-wing authoritarian who can countenance almost anything except being laughed at. And now, thanks to this recording, that’s what everyone (except his moron 27%er audience) will be doing.

46 Likes

So much for Tucker trying to position himself as “the reasonable one”…

14 Likes

21 Likes

4 Likes

Curious how Bregman’s ability to point out Carlson’s hypocrisy earns him the label of ‘moron’. I’d say that qualifies as smarts, not stupidity. Perhaps Carlson’s idea of intelligence is the ability to maintain cognitive dissonance.

38 Likes

Does Carlson really believe that people in other countries can’t watch or wouldn’t have watched Fox before? That was so weird.

17 Likes

I think it is more “smart people agree with me. You are disagreeing with me, so you are a moron”. I don’t know how much he believes that, and/or if if it is a way to make his audience feel superior to anyone who doesn’t share their views.

20 Likes

Reminds me of one of my all-time favorite Jon Stewart moments. He took down Carlson so hard that CNN ended up cancelling Crossfire entirely.

49 Likes

A: “Ha ha, stickin’ it to those coastal elites.”

B: “Your President is a Manhattan billionaire who literally lives atop a giant tower adorned with his name in huge gold letters.”

A: “No, not THOSE coastal elites…”

45 Likes

Might seem unfair and nitpicky, but if anything Bregman should inspire you to remember who you friends aren’t.

7 Likes

Seems like Carlson is going out of his way to be like Bill O’Reilly.

5 Likes

Thus Fox’s rejection of the Papa O’Reilly Rule. They don’t “do it live.”

13 Likes

still delicious after all these years.

11 Likes

Carlson was angry and so they said things they thought would hurt Bregman’s feelings. Of course Carlson has next to no empathy, so we can assume that whatever was said was actually what would hurt Carlson’s feelings.

So it’s not that there is any logical connection between pointing out hypocrisy and being stupid. It’s that Carlson is deeply afraid of being seen as stupid, likely because he is very worried that he is stupid.

(Unlike Carlson, I don’t have an empathy problem, I insult people based on what would hurt them)

17 Likes

images

24 Likes

The fact that this leaked is great-- Fox News business model is to invite people on who they think they can manipulate into repeating or paraphrasing conservative talking points either through very pointed questions or selective editing. Carlson couldn’t get anything useful out of this interview, which is probably a big part of why he loses his shit. (I also like to fantasize that earlier that day he stepped in dog doo, dented his car, and lost his phone, so he was ready to burst.)

20 Likes

Carlson’s “moron” response is pathetic, but I think it actually makes sense. Carlson’s riding a gravy train of fame and fortune by running interference for the real elites. Bergman is not only refusing to join in, he’s interfering with the good thing Carlson’s got going. Hence, “moron,” “annoying.”

It’s got some eerie parallels to Jon Stewart’s appearance on / takedown of Crossfire some years ago; in both cases, the host wasn’t equipped to deal with calm, clear criticism of the very structure and meaning of the show itself, of the host’s role in the larger world.

And what a co-incidence, the host is the same guy.

25 Likes