"The Mystery" of Tucker Carlson

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/08/the-mystery-of-tucker-carl.html

10 Likes

Special snowflake can’t shut up about how he’s being censored. /s :roll_eyes:

21 Likes

Of course the broflake (thanks @beschizza for teaching us that word) isn’t.
And probably totally unaware of it too.

18 Likes

:clap:

And never was.

17 Likes

[Tina] Brown, who noted crisply in an efficient, six-minute phone interview, “I really think Tucker is better than that.”

But he’s not tho…

18 Likes

His father was the head of The Corporation for Public Broadcasting and his mom abandoned him. His whole psyche is formed by a reaction to his upbringing.

“ His mother, who led a Bohemian lifestyle, abandoned the family and eventually moved to France. She had little presence in his childhood.”

He was sent away to boarding school where he was raised by his fellow adolescents; stunting his emotional development.

Kinda sad. If only the welfare state had helped him when he was younger and could have been saved.

30 Likes

“He has a large platform and all the money and privilege.”

Which means now he can afford, in every sense of the word, to show just what he is.

12 Likes

Dude’s facial expressions. Everyone one of them is so damn slappable.

28 Likes

19 Likes

I first saw him years ago on “Celebrity Jeopardy” DC edition or something. No idea who he was or what his politics were. He was, without a doubt, the single most ignorant person I had ever seen on Jeopardy. I only remembered his name because he was so spectacularly stupid. He’s the picture of “failing up”. You give him far too much credit.

18 Likes

Pushing a fascist agenda often involves asserting a narrative that some large, dominant group is somehow being persecuted by a smaller, insidious group. This lack of symmetry is explained as a conspiracy, where the smaller group somehow controls key factors of power behind the scenes. In Nazi Germany it was the Jews who controlled banking, and in Trump America it’s Liberals who control the Deep State.

17 Likes

Either he was always this bad and ‘moderated’ himself a bit so he had a broader appeal and now is showing his true self, or, he saw what was selling (Limbaugh, then Glen Beck, then Alex Jones) and wanted some of that looney-fringe right-wing cash. Or both

7 Likes

Carslon’s quote about how awful it is that "political leaders stopped identifying with bourgeois values and began pandering in earnest to the underclass” is priceless. Yes the conservative “populists” openly think poor people should be ignored.

7 Likes

Well, at least he is upfront about what side of the class divide he is on.

2 Likes

Intentionally conflating consequences and infringement of speech is a core right wing position, hinged (like most of their platform) on the idea that the rights and freedoms of the constitution originally only applied to people like them and still should. Supreme court justice Clarence Thomas explained it well in 2010 (in his Citizen’s United dissent) when he wrote about the unconstitutional infringement on speech wealthy individuals fighting against marriage equality laws faced when people boycotted their companies afterwards. Thomas proposed that rich people should be allowed unlimited secret influence on politics, because anything else would infringe their free speech. I mention this mostly to point out that its not just tv idiots like Carlson, the idea that it should be illegal for wealthy republicans to face consequences for anything they say is soon to be a majority SCOTUS opinion

10 Likes

20 Likes

Was it Jon Stewart who pointed out Tucker’s default expression is that of a quizzical dog? I think of that every time I see him, because, like the dog, Tucker clearly doesn’t understand anything of what’s going on either.

18 Likes

My guess is that he’s something like the William Hurt character in Broadcast News, a bland mediocrity who had anchor-demeanor (as defined by career TV idiots focused on looks and not journalistic ability) but was always propped up as to ethics and knowledge by the people behind the scenes.

2 Likes

He really went downhill when he lost the bowtie.

8 Likes

This is easy. He always was the hateful racist asshole he is espousing today. Before he had to keep it under wraps. trump has allowed him to free himself of the shackles of racist shame.

12 Likes