Turning spam-calls from a hassle into a profit-centre

Ah, I’m from the colonies so wasn’t aware of that - it’d be 1900 here or something along those lines.

2 Likes

I prefer to have my team of scientists make the lemons combustible, myself…

2 Likes

The Telephone Preference Service is one of the things I miss about living in the UK. Here in New Zealand we get swamped with cold callers from India claiming to be from The Microsoft Security Help Desk, claiming —in very, very heavily accented English— that our computers are compromised and we need “help” to fix them …

I ger that it’s a bit annoying to get spam calls but I just don’t get the vitriol that some people have towards them. Just hang up on them, it’s not that hard. Most of the time it’s an automated call to start so it’s not like you’re even hurting someone’s feelings by hanging up.

Gets frustrating when you have to do it several times a day, especially if you’re interrupted doing something such as work.

1 Like

My anecdote.

What works at our house:

1. Unlisted phone number.
  2. When I’m checking out at a store and the clerk asks me for my phone number I politely refuse.

It’s a pretty simple protocol, but highly effective. We get perhaps two unsolicited calls a year.

Amazingly, point 2 is easy but it would seem that almost no one uses it. At times I’ve gotten confused stares from the clerk and once or twice they’ve had to call a manager over because they don’t know how to ring up a sale without a phone number, which leads me to believe that almost everyone hands over their phone number when asked. But don’t do it, folks. I’ve never had anyone refuse to make the sale because of it…

This guy may have discovered the future of phone service. We should all have this feature. How do we get this to work for email?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.