Twitter joke sparks rape threats

Jayne is not Baldwin, Baldwin is not Jayne. Baldwin is an ass, and frankly so is Jayne, but Jayne is a fictional construct and one can like him as a character without necessarily liking anything he does in the fictional world. Baldwin’s creation as a character is down to him alone.

5 Likes

I’d add that the audience needs to have tolerance for this rather than seeing their complicity as active support. A lot of people want to recruit us as their silent majority.

1 Like

“Let others praise ancient times; I for one am glad I was born in these.”

• Ovid (43BC - AD18)
8 Likes

Jayne on my chest is Baldwin on my chest. I’m cool with just going back to merely enjoying the character.

Now, as long as Jewel Staite keeps her cool, I won’t have to change my dog’s name :wink:

3 Likes

I once went to a well known mediterranean lunch place with friends, but wasn’t feeling all that great. I saw grilled cheese on the menu, so I ordered it.

The chef put spray cheese on white bread and slapped it on the grill, making eye contact with me the entire time.

It was terrible, but I held myself responsible.

3 Likes

Help me understand how you know they are men? because at last check social media accounts do not give off the gender identity as a requirement for using said communication tool.

Don’t get me wrong, I am willing to bet most of said whiny insecure twats on twitter are in fact male. But we do not know this for sure now do we. And my point here is that the actual gender of a person doesn’t matter…it’s the behavior that is the issue. I’ve witnessed as much dickishness from females as I have from males.

1 Like

That’s actually a big part of the problem, though.

Women don’t know at first, and often not until it’s too late, that the civil, average guy they see regularly at school, work, the gym, etc. might actually be a dangerous threat.

As people of color will tell you, it’s easier dealing with an open racist than someone who hides their bigotry in polite company.

12 Likes

Twitter deletes 125,000 Isis accounts and expands anti-terror teams

1 Like

We all know that this bumper sticker

is more likely than not to be on the offenders’ pickup trucks.

2 Likes

And I love your avatar / badge / Netscape thingy!

1 Like

Amen.

Quasi-relevant, perhaps (hopefully):

“Is von Braun the guy who got us to the Moon? Or is he the guy whose V2 rockets wreaked havoc on behalf of the Nazis, and who designed ballistic missiles for the United States? Frankly, he’s both. Sometimes, we can respect a person’s genius without respecting all of their choices.”

– Maggie Koerth-Baker, “Satiric birthday song for Wernher von Braun”

[Edit: I realized it may sound like I’m saying, “Adam Baldwin is a genius”, which, while I admire his work on Firefly, is not, in fact, what I’m saying.]

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.