Two sailors and two dogs rescued at sea, months after distress call

Or about other people with Brown skin. Or about people with vaginas. Or…

2 Likes

I’d tie up a bedsheet if nothing else, just to keep the nose pointed downwind. I’d rather pitch than roll. (If I could, I’d draw Trump on the sheet–a universal sign of distress.)

4 Likes

From the article in my local paper:

They thought they had packed enough to last a year but with the six-month mark approaching they discovered they had gone through 90 percent of it. The dogs’ food had run out and they were sharing theirs with them.

“The dogs turned out to really like human food,” Appel said.

“A lot,” Fuiava added.

Hmm. Maybe trying to work out some sort of shark pacifier would be an option.

The sharks already had two dummies in this case.

2 Likes

Yes, but I meant it as a business opportunity. Given how many people fear sharks when even cows are much more dangerous, statistically speaking, there could be money in this.
BTW, if you’re on a hike or something and have to cross a meadow with cows and their calves on it, be careful. If mama cow perceives you as a threat to her young one, things will get very interesting very fast. You can totally skip that trip to Pamplona then.

1 Like

That’s why hobby-focused forums are helpful; those effectively change the subject to whatever the forum topic is, but without giving the speaker the impression that he isn’t still talking about himself. Imperfect; but makes data extraction about as painless as it can be under the circumstances.

1 Like

I don’t think you’re talking about the same users of the forums as OhJim and I are.

specifically the ones @eraserbones referenced : ““Actual Sailors” who are super angry that someone who isn’t straight or male would try to sail a boat.” and not some other sort of user at those forums. I am sure those other users exists, but we don’t need to change the subject to that other subset of users from the subset discussed above, do we?

I think I am talking about the ones that make those forums toxic with their own special form of masculinity. They’re the same in sailing forums as they are in cooking forums or coding forums. Nothing to do with sailing.

Well, you changed the subject to the toxic subset in the first place!

The initial reference was just to the bullshit calling.

Like a bowline who loves a rasp - I’m a frayed knot. (but I am not the subject, am i?)

What do you think of such toxic masculinity (the subject brought upby someone else, to which I responded in agreement) as described in those other forums, on the subject of this post, the lost sailors?

Surely you won’t muddy the waters further, and appear to support such toxic masculinity in a typically toxic male way, right? You’re a sharer, and so we can share like equals. Right? No put downs needed along the way, right?

Right? :confused:

Yes, those ones are toxic. That’s why I don’t hang out in forums like that. But sometimes, when specific knowledge is called for, they can be helpful, if one ignores the stupidity.

1 Like

Had a beacon, didn’t use it. Hmm.

They were really, really happy to be rescued, but not happy enough to turn on the beacon. They thought they had only 24 hours to live, but gosh darn it, they don’t need no stinkin’ EPIRB. They thought the sharks would eat their boat, but no beacon.

Read that today. Odd. Dunno what to make of it. I presume we’d know by now if the hold was filled with a half ton of cocaine or something.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that they hid out somewhere, then concocted the story to get a book or film contract. They had the opportunity to go into several ports, but decided the islands were uninhabited or did not have harbors deep enough for their boat. Which is silly.
There is no visible damage to the mast. One of the interviews says that a spreader broke, but the spreaders look intact in the images. If there was an issue with the mast track, you just bypass it. Or you go up and fix it. If the halyard is damaged, you can just tie a block up there, and use a piece of line. They have mast steps, so climbing up there would be no challenge at all.
The storm they claim to have endured does not seem to have happened.
They say that they chose to not activate the epirb. And all their radios failed. Yet they had enough power to keep the watermaker going for five months. Even with a wind generator to help, that is a bunch of fuel.
In one of the interviews, they say that without rescue, they would have been dead within 24 hours. Dead from what? The boat did not look low in the water, and neither they nor their dogs look particularly malnourished or dehydrated.
I guess we can assume that they are incompetent. But there seem to be levels of foolishness here that go beyond that.
I predict that the story is going to unravel completely, and soon. Maybe it will turn out to be a bizarre story like the Sea Wind story. Or at least the Teignmouth Electron.

Fair enough, my problem for reading too fast. It was actually eraser_bones; you merely continued.

I do find it eyebrow raising for someone to decry subject changing when they are themselves participating in subject drift. That’s what happens in conversations – they drift. Unless a particular subtopic begins to dominate the conversation to the point where other things can’t be discussed, there’s no harm in having multiple people talking about related things.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.