Classic Gary Larson setup has happy ending

Good show all around, but just think how disappointing this could have turned out if the Navy pilot had thought the message said “KELP.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/3-men-rescued-from-pacific-island-thanks-to-help-sign/2016/04/09/b5949e94-fe92-11e5-813a-90ab563f0dde_story.html

15 Likes

I heard about this from my spouse this morning and we thought the same thing. Great minds, and all that. :laughing:

3 Likes

Was there a boat named SS Minnow involved?

Please say yes :wink:

They were damned lucky: not a lot of islands in that area, deserted or otherwise.

I have no idea why, but I love lost at sea stories. For two that are like the extreme opposite stories - one of the world’s greatest navigator and one of the world’s worst sea captain, read:

In The Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex - the true story that inspired Moby Dick

And

The Wreck of the Medusa: The Most Famous Sea Disaster of the Nineteenth Century

Each book is fantastic, but together they form a real story about leadership.

I’m glad these people were smart enough to make a sign; that always seems like the best approach to rescue.

3 Likes

Me, too! Actually, any human endurance/disaster book sucks me right in. Anyway, I read the first one years ago but I haven’t read the second. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I checked the Amazon reviews and they were really spotty on that book, but I loved it. I would love to turn it into a movie; every person in it would make a great character, and the narrative is so unpredictable. The painting element added a lot for me, but that particular painting fascinated me even before I knew that it was an actual historic event.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 314 days. New replies are no longer allowed.