The SS Minnow is not actually lost

Originally published at: The SS Minnow is not actually lost | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Those poor people!

12 Likes

Approves

12 Likes

Let’s look at some of the least plausible aspects of the show. Nevermind how the professor turned coconuts into a radio. Why would a “millionaire” and his wife book a 3 hour tour on such a small boat? And would a “movie star” really want to risk spending 180 minutes being peppered with Hollywood questions from the normals?

5 Likes

Why would Mrs. Howell and Ginger bring a wardrobe full of clothes including dozens of evening gowns on a 3 hour daytime cruise? Why did Thurston bring a suitcase full of cash?

Conspiracy theories abound…

9 Likes

A favorite game I have with a friend is defining old TV shows by “that one episode.” Which is actually a lot of episodes, if not nearly every episode.

So we’ll say “Did you ever see that episode of Gilligan’s Island where they almost got off the island?”

“Did you ever see that episode of Star Trek where Kirk and Spock use logic to defeat the alien computer?”

And my favorite:

“Did you ever see that episode of MASH where they use alcoholism and jokes to deal with the horrors of war?”

[edited for clarity]

12 Likes

This is a show that ran during the same time as not one but two different sitcoms about dudes who shacked up with near-omnipotent magical beings who still managed to find themselves in wacky domestic hijinks every week. Audiences in the 1960s did not demand a high level of realism in their television comedies.

11 Likes

My buddies and I used to play ChugBoat and Hi Bob!

6 Likes

Which boat was the one that fell to pieces after being repaired with poor-quality glue?

2 Likes

… That’s like… most of them.

2 Likes

Rich tourists amirite?

4 Likes

A wooden boat - he’ll be sorry.

3 Likes

I give up. “I Dream of Jeannie” and ?

1 Like

Bewitched.

2 Likes

Of course. Thanks!

3 Likes

Plot holes hadn’t been invented in the 60s.

4 Likes

Three (maybe more) if you want to expand the “shacked up” to other relationships and “not magical but close enough for government work”

7 Likes

That question bothered me even as a child.

2 Likes

I remember “Hi Bob”, that takes me back.

3 Likes

In my memory it was a whole steamer trunk.

3 Likes