Gilligan's Island's S.S. Minnow was named as an insult to the chair of the FCC

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/23/gilligans-islands-s-s-min.html

6 Likes

Those%20Poor%20People%20-%20Galaxy%20Quest%2C%20Gilligan's%20Island

29 Likes

Minow calling tv a vast wasteland is equivalent to Trump’s MAGA. In other words, everything is terrible and only I can fix it.

6 Likes
13 Likes

But requiring social media outlets to police content posted on their platforms will totally turn out better, guys.

5 Likes

In fairness to Minnow, “Gilligan’s Island” was trash. But I watched it as a kid with no ill effects except the occasional untimely recurrence of statements like “Now Gilligan, if we can just get these two coconuts into orbit…” and the inability to get the theme (which Schwartz wrote himself) out of my head.

8 Likes

Very apropos of the lawsuit about “Stairway.”

2 Likes

Also, “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner” can be sung to the tune of the “Gilligan’s Island” theme (and thus could be shoehorned into “Stairway to Heaven” as well).

4 Likes

Personally I subscribe to the “Seven Deadly Sin of Gilligan’s Island” theory.

16 Likes

I forgot how much the theme song reminds me of Beep Beep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7hch0wQD1w

3 Likes

And “Amazing Grace”

4 Likes

God that was a great show.
Yeah, yeah, it was awful. But in a wonderful way that kids could really appreciate.

3 Likes

I really like the Gilligan as satan idea, that’s an interesting way to think about it. Makes it a whole new show!

5 Likes

The show was mostly stupid, but it had its moments, especially when it shifted to a dream sequence; the cast loved doing them and it shows. Also, in a cool moment for Bob Denver, the reason that Johnson and Wells got added to the credits/theme song was because Denver went to the producers and forced them to do it. And he didn’t tell anyone; Wells has said she only heard about it years later.

11 Likes

I’m actually comfortable with policies prohibiting Nazi hate speech on TV and social media.

10 Likes

Good thing it was enforced properly, resulting in the complete elimination of nazi and other hate speech on the Internet.

3 Likes

We’ve got no Nazi hate speech on TV (or at least, not overt Nazi hate speech) because the people who run TV networks won’t abide that kind of thing. We need similar policies by the people who run social media, but instead we have a bunch of nonsense about how censorship is always bad.

7 Likes

…which reminded me of this

4 Likes

If this is the case, he should have spelled it the same.

I’m not a pot smoker, but this makes me reconsider.

2 Likes