SNL fires comic Shane Gillis days after hiring him

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/16/snl-fires-comic-shane-gillis-d.html

9 Likes

The internet never forgets.

34 Likes

And rarely forgives…

27 Likes

And no lives were ruined.

26 Likes

Edgelords inevitably cut themselves, and when they do they have nobody to blame but themselves.

37 Likes

Especially since it was, what, May?

18 Likes

2018 isn’t very long ago, I came in expecting someone dug into the 00s.

I think after some period of time (5-7 years) you should be able to declare moral bankruptcy, but it sounds like this wasn’t someone being edgy in their 20s and growing up

14 Likes

Timed-Release Karma’s gonna get you… :musical_note:

9 Likes

I mean, sure, the fact that his jokes were racist suggests that he wasn’t right for SNL, but the fact that they weren’t funny suggests otherwise.

30 Likes

Contemporary comics resorting to racist jokes for a cheap laugh always remind me of that Simpsons episode when Krusty realizes he needs some new material.

krusty-racist

25 Likes

He got canned for being racist?

12 Likes

No, you’re not.

Seriously, why do all these half-assed white dude comics think that they’re the comedy equivalent of Stravinsky for saying the stupid shit you would hear at any frat party held within the past fifty years?

55 Likes

Right down to the fact that nothing bad actually happens to Krusty in this episode, and he is rewarded for being a greedy hack?

Yeah

8 Likes

Yeah, the female comics that the world has suddenly “discovered” have really put this idiotic theory right in the grave. Honestly, I can’t even imagine what the SNL people are thinking. I’m sure the dudes are fine comedians individually, but that ship is being sailed by the women. I’d put more eggs in that basket.

14 Likes

They all fancy themselves as the next Lenny Bruce or George Carlin when the truth is they’re more like the last generation of performers trying to make a buck doing Minstrel.

25 Likes

The best thing to come out of this were the stories by other comics who, pissed off at his racist antics, did things to sabotage him over the years (or got to see him spectacularly fail). E.g. the story of his performing, with racist caricatures, to a deaf audience, where the accents clearly weren’t translatable into sign, causing his performance to go over like a lead balloon. Or the time when another comic called up a gangster friend to bring his homies to the show, resulting in the front row of the venue to be filled with tough Asian dudes, which caused Shane to skip his racist bits, for some reason. (And which caused his act to bomb.)

It’s also been educational about what kind of racism audiences are still apparently fine with.

And yet: Apu… the lack of self-awareness there.

16 Likes

They completely miss the point of Bruce or Carlin, both of whom punched up. Throwing around racial epithets isn’t edgy or cool. It just racist.

43 Likes

Never trust any TV series over thirty.

19 Likes

Never heard of him.

6 Likes

Still, we lost Leslie Jones this season. :crying_cat_face:

15 Likes