SNL fires comic Shane Gillis days after hiring him

I’m gonna miss her sexual harassment of Colin Jost the most… They never gave her great bits for the most part. The ones where she got to be herself she really shined, though.

snl-leslie-jones-peppermint-patty

20 Likes

What about Sesame Street?

6 Likes
4 Likes

Women in comedy are as old as TV. As in Lucille Ball was one of the funniest women on the air ever and a helluva businessperson

15 Likes

Yup. He says he’s on the edge, but what edge is he on? There are many. To think all breaches of social norms are equally valid is to misunderstand human interaction in general and what those comics were doing in specific. Sometimes you do need to be rude to make some sort of point or to get people to think in a new way, but what kind of world is he thinking of creating with these so-called “jokes”?

7 Likes

aka Martin Freeman’s one true love.

5 Likes

And just about every soap opera.

Thanks to wikipedia I learned that Eric Braeden of Rat Patrol and Escape from the Planet of the Apes fame has been on the Young and the Restless for more than 30 years

6 Likes

I wonder if Eddie Murphy would be hired today.

1 Like

They always forget that boundaries push back with equal force. It’s basic Newtonian physics.

5 Likes

Agh: “risqué”, but yes.

I strongly feel that there should be no forbidden ideas – you have to think about something before you can know what you think about it – and by extension I don’t think there are words that can never be said.

But what edgelords fail to grasp is that just because you are allowed to say things, it doesn’t mean you can’t be held responsible for what you say. Perhaps you feel it’s important to explore the idea that racial slurs are funny. That’s fine(ish), but it’s like taking a shit on the stage: the onus is on you to persuade the audience that’s artistically or intellectually worthwhile and not merely disgusting. And the more disgusting you’re being, the less space people are going to give you to make that case.

Comedians like Bill Hicks or Frankie Boyle do a lot of groundwork to earn their audience’s permission to say dark and ugly stuff – they take responsibility for ensuring that by the end of the set you won’t just feel violated. And even then, they accept that some people will only get the darkness, and not the redeeming aspects, and that they can’t expect to defend their work to those people.

It’s clouded a bit, in the case of comedy, by the fact that if people laugh then you can argue it was artistically successful. And people will laugh at stuff because they’re uncomfortable, or cruel. But I don’t think it’s really that hard to know when that’s the case; and if someone doesn’t understand that they only appeal to assholes, I don’t have much sympathy for them.

25 Likes

Separately from the Gillis business, I keep seeing new SNL cast member Bowen Yang described as the first Asian on the show. He’s of Asian descent, sure, but Nasim Pedrad was actually born in Iran and it seems like everyone’s ignoring her.

Or I guess we could all stop using the not-further-qualified “Asian” when we actually mean “but only from a very specific part of Asia” but that’s not going to happen.

6 Likes

What he really means is “I’m an offensive arsehat. Look at me! Look at me!”

9 Likes

For me, this was the more telling quote, especially that he supposedly already learned his lesson in 2016. He had his chance.

In a May 2016 interview with Philadelphia’s Billy Penn, Gillis talked about the boundaries he pushes with his brand of comedy.

“You throw stuff out there and you get to see them react to things, like yea or nay, what’s funny and what’s not,” Gillis is quoted as saying. “You can be racist to Asians. That’s what we’re finding out,” Gillis told Billy Penn.

5 Likes

I don’t know this guy’s work, and now I never will.

That said, I offer the following for non-substantive, procedural purposes only. Seems amusingly fitting.

Seinfeld would call this “humor” lazy, if his words from Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee are true.

3 Likes

Translation;
"I'm an over-privileged self-absorbed asshole who mistakenly thinks that 'punching down' somehow equates to being funny."

False equiv.

Murphy likely knows better than to try to do anything like his “Gay police siren” routine from from Raw nowadays, because times and social attitudes have changed drastically since 1987.

18 Likes

Oddly enough, Bill Cosby thought the same. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Did he really though? Weren’t his heinous acts just the same kind of humor only on a more dastardly level?

2 Likes

Oblig:

14 Likes

If he thought it was humorous, that’s pretty sick.