Two women entrepreneurs create fake male co-founder to beat startup sexism

Let’s not forget:

or:

Or women who just wrote under men’s names…

16 Likes

Don’t forget:

16 Likes

Hey, while we’re at it:

­

Females have been disguising themselves as dudes to get shit done for a long damn time.

20 Likes

This is still the biggest one I can think of:

11 Likes

Side side story: Donald Petrie also directed a movie called Welcome to Mooseport which was so dreadful it caused Gene Hackman to retire from acting.

3 Likes

If I had to create a persona, I would go with A.B. Norm.

2 Likes

And sadly Hugh Man was already taken…

6 Likes

I think Lee Lemon would have been more suited for the job anyway.

9 Likes

Nobody going for the obvious silly uber male name?

9 Likes

I think I’m having a midlife crisis. Not in a, “I’m gonna buy m’self a red convertible” style; but in a, “Christ, have I always been an arsehole” style. The more I find out about things like White Male Privilege and Evolutionary Psychology, the more I feel the need to apologise and try to STFU.

@ProfessorDumb, I remember reading that a good pen name was something like “Christopher Fist”, so they could put you surname in really big letters under your forename on the cover.

8 Likes

For about the last 3 years of my life.

4 Likes

I too work in a female-dominated environment, the only kind I’m actually comfortable in (two older sisters and a mom of “big personality”) and I too still find myself talking too much in meetings. Luckily I’m a bit of a mascot around here, so it’s interpreted more of a “funny kid brother who gets overly excited” persona more than “self-important dick.” It’s still a problem, for me a blend of male privilege and having been a momma’s boy baby of the family. it’s a hell of a drug cocktail.

To the article, the specific detail of the use of the name struck a chord with me. In addition to the subtle grossness of how she described it, I’ve seen it the other way too. When we talk to agency partners, (especially one network admin who tends to wink and finger gun in meetings) when they want to condescend to my colleagues, that’s when they drop the name, repeatedly. We all still say “Diana, Diana, Diana, Diana” (pronounced Die-anna, even though she’s Hispanic, and her name is Dee-ah-na) to mock that specific asshole whenever we want to talk about him… On the internet too, I cringe whenever drive-by disappointed-in-boing-boing commenters open up a rant with the name of the post author.

7 Likes

Why not both?

1 Like

I may be wrong here, but I don’t think it’s as clear cut as a deliberate choice to treat others differently based on sex. It seems to be more of an objectification to me; meaning that some people just don’t “see” women in the same way that they do men.

I imagine it to be the same sort of dynamic as playing coed basketball in grade school- even though a few girls might be closer to the basket and unguarded, the boy with the ball would almost always look for another “real” player to pass to, even though he might be less advantageously positioned.

6 Likes

It’s awesome, though. No matter what, you can always be sure that you are better than women at EVERYTHING.
Well, everything important.
Because science.
A lifetime of insecurity and outgrouping is hard to ignore.
All that condescension and micro aggression (and straight out aggression) is just to put those women back in their Place-- which is, of course, to cater to men.

1 Like

I remembered Guy Man-Dude when I was typing, but I didn’t want to be the first to bring it up.

2 Likes

Billy Tipton came to mind, but then if he was transgender then it’s not quite the same thing.

3 Likes

Might be serious, might be sarcastic. So hard to tell on the internet.

4 Likes

I think it was meant to be a caricature of the person I described. And it makes sense to me in that respect.

But it is disheartening, because there are people who think that way.

6 Likes

You don’t need to STFU, the point is to not silence anyone’s speech, including your own. If you think your speech is interfering with others, then in my opinion I think it’s more of a matter of learning when to listen, not to silence yourself arbitrarily.

6 Likes