U-Haul decides to stop hiring nicotine users

Interestingly enough, the only effective way from stopping children from taking up smoking turns out to be increasing the prices substantially, which impact adult smokers. The health risks from smoking are, at this point, non-issues. Many smokers and almost all kids have an inflated view of the risk compared to the statistics, and still continue to do so or take it up.

Second-hand smoke provides the justification for the restrictions. I’ve yet to meet anyone (both pro or against the restriction) who seriously felt that was punishment or cessation wasn’t the point of the restrictions (with second hand smoke reduction for other employees a welcomed secondary effect.)

Same thing as the EPA. The Commerce clause and thus protecting states from each other’s pollution is justification for federal environmental regulations. However, the point of federal environmental regulations is to protect everyone from pollution.

1600s: “Czar Alexei Mikhailovitch rules that anyone caught with tobacco should be tortured until he gave up the name of the supplier.”

– Thomas Szasz, Ceremonial Chemistry

5 Likes

Good point. Maybe with more restrictions, employees won’t want to smoke, or be gay, or be Jewish.

It would. Long pig is not healthy. When one must prepare it, they should use a method other than smoking.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

7 Likes

Why is everyone going on about how smoking is something smokers “don’t do when on the job”

They do it all the time on the job. Nobody takes as many breaks as a smoker. And they take the longest breaks, too. Then they come back stinking of smoke, making the place intolerable for anyone who was never part of their club.

But I think the no-smoker hiring policies are counterproductive as it’s easy to lie, just like on health insurance forms. You end up screening out honest smokers and hiring dishonest smokers. And then they get cranky when they can’t take long and numerous smoking breaks that would give themselves away. Creates more problems than it solves.

2 Likes

Everybody thinks it’s fine for millions of people to smoke on their own time, but everybody loses their minds when factories spew carcinogens into the atmosphere.

Who is this “everybody” you speak of? :thinking:

1 Like

hello. my name is gatto. good to meet you. :wink:

i think probably 50ft laws are cessation and punishment related. restricting smoking in the workplace and airplanes, restaurants, bar, etc - ( all also workplaces ) - has always seemed to me about second hand smoke ( and avoiding lawsuits about second hand smoke if the states had done nothing. )

that’s not what the cdc sez. it lists that first ( though the list is not clearly ordered ) marketing restrictions, age restrictions, and societal views are also cited.

interestingly, so is indoor smoking - which does makes sense to me that if you don’t have a place you can smoke as a kid, you’re less likely to get started. ( so partial mei culpa noting that’s still not about cessation, but societal norms instead for new smokers )

all though slightly beside the point. the state isn’t denying employment to smokers any more than it is to red meat eaters or people who shun exercise. private companies shouldn’t be doing so either.

3 Likes

I wish non-smokers could take smoking breaks too. Working straight through is often counterproductive.

10 Likes

Right. Instead of bitching about how many breaks smokers get and trying tobtake those away/punish them, maybe we should be getting breaks, too.

Quit buying the propaganda that pits workers against each other. You’re only doing the boss a favour.

16 Likes

something like 0.2 percent of greenhouse gases come from tabacco and it’s production. high for sure, but nothing like the 14+ percent of animal agriculture. ( not including barbeque im sure. )

tailpipe emissions are themselves around 15 percent i think.

[edit] with those numbers in hand, i guess if uhaul was really concerned about public health, they’d simply close up shop.

4 Likes

There is another side to this.

Back in the late 80’s the company I was working for was contracted by a company who generally cared about their employees. This was right at the time companies were beginning to limit smoking in their buildings. This company hired us, and an engineering firm, to change a larger conference room into a smoking room. It was well planed and would have kept the room at a constant negative pressure in respect to the rest of the building. There were air changing fans and smoke eaters going in. This was at quite an expense. We had started the job and when it was mostly finished we were told to stop work.

We were informed that policy had changed, as their lawyers determined that by providing smokers with a safe, comfortable, and pleasant place to smoke could leave them liable to lawsuits by smokers that the company helped them continue smoking. They paid us and the room was returned to a normal conference room.

I assume the “you must leave the company property” rule is for the same reason. My company has that rule and smokers are required to exit the building and walk a few feet to be past our boundary line.

5 Likes

It is sad to see smokers flick their butts wontonly onto sidewalks, streets, gutters, out window of their vechicles, with out a care what will happen to the accumulation.

ETA: My work place is non smoking and staffed by non smokers. New applicants who smoke are politely told, “Thank you for coming in, we will contact if your application is successful.” Usually the smell and or yellow finger tips are give aways if not odor.

Police were alerted when an unidentified local man went on a break to smoke a cigarette outside his Times Square office. The man became frightened when he noticed his fingers and his breath had taken on an unpleasant, acrid odor. Following initial investigations, the remains of the man’s cigarette were found to contain trace elements of several substances that are thought to cause various forms of cancer in humans.

2 Likes

Someone in U-Haul’s management is channeling Henry Ford.

2 Likes

I helped a relative move home. The new house had belonged to a heavy smoker, so we set about sugar-soaping the painted surfaces. The lounge had walls in a nice sort of golden-tan colour. When we started cleaning it, we revealed it was actually a layer of smoking by-products over duck-egg blue paint. One of us forgot to put their gloves on after we broke for a meal, and, after about half an hour wiping down the walls, developed a skull-splitting headache.

I’m so glad that I never fell for the smoking addiction.

9 Likes

It isn’t the health implications of side-stream smoking that gets on my nerves, it is the smell. It is like sharing space with someone who feels it is perfectly fine to just fart all the time; only the odour of farting doesn’t attach itself to other peoples clothes and follow them around for several hours.

3 Likes

I went to college in Kentucky, and one winter took a job over the break stripping tobacco, that’s removing, sorting and baling the leaves from the stalks. The first day I didn’t think to wear gloves. I don’t remember a headache but I got really nauseous. I think I read somewhere that 1 cigar has enough nicotine to kill 3 people, if they were to ingest it instead of burning and inhaling it.

5 Likes

a) I’ve met many smokers who profess to enjoy the habit.

b) Yes, nicotine gets you high; ask any new smoker.

c) Nicotine actually raises your IQ a few points, among other cognitive effects:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2012/01/09/144906236/nicotine-patches-up-early-memory-loss-in-study

So yeah… No. You’re making a lot of unsupported assumptions.

2 Likes

He did lampoon smokers mercilessly, whilst smoking on stage,

His best smoking joke :

What’s the first thing Saint Peter asks when you arrive in Heaven?

Got a light?

What?

This is heaven, everybody smokes here. Hell, all the clouds are made of smoke.

Well if you smoke in Heaven, what do they do in hell?

I dunno, let’s have a look - Saint Peter opens a portal to hell, where they see an old lady saying :

You shouldn’t smoke. Smoking/s bad for you…

Sounds like hell to me…

2 Likes

I heard they are going to drug test for nicotine so it’ll be hard to keep it to yourself.