U.S. economy grew at fastest pace in years as media looks for way to say this is bad

Originally published at: U.S. economy grew at fastest pace in years

6 Likes

And the Fed raises interest rates again in 3…2…

[edit] terrible typing today, just awful.

5 Likes

Headline 1: “Record-Setting Economic Growth Doesn’t Mean a Recession Isn’t Looming in the Future”

Headline 2: “The Economy Is Doing Great. Why Do So Many People Think We’re in a Recession?”

11 Likes

They’ll just have to find another way to put the proles back in place.

4 Likes

Consumer spending goes up: “Bad news for economy; household savings ratio is going down”

Consumer savings goes up: “Bad news for economy; household spending ratio is going down”

11 Likes

Doing my best. Keeping the spending going.

Youre Welcome Maui GIF

2 Likes

From what I’ve been reading, the Fed is expected to lay off the rate hikes as the housing market and a few other indicators have shown signs of cooling off. Of course, IANAE and I barely understood what I was reading, so… :salt:

1 Like

They went too far increasing the lending rate. People buying cars and houses were not causing inflation at the grocery store, corporate greed was and is. I’m not an economist, either, but this is just friggin obvious - only the rich assholes in charge of the Fed and the billionaires these useful idiots really work for can’t see it, the other 99.9999% of us can.

5 Likes

100 Percent Agree GIF by HBO

5 Likes

I was wondering why the stock market was going down.

1 Like

It’s not that they cannot see it, it’s that the Fed has very few tools. They’ve got a hammer. Great when the problem is a nail. When the problem is something else and needs a more nuanced or targeted solution, they still just have the hammer. They can use the hammer to impact the problem, with lots of undesired side effects or they can just let the problem continue.

In the absence of some other group, say congress, with more targeted and nuanced tools using those to also mitigate the problem, it makes sense that the Fed would use the hammer. As long as they believe the side effects while bad are less bad than the main problem getting worse.

1 Like

It goes hand-in-hand with “Lazy Americans don’t want to work/Too many Americans are working and spending. something must be done!.” All a dodge to excuse greedpigs getting richer.

7 Likes

And, not to get us too off topic, that’s expanded to, “immigrants/refugees are so lazy, leeching off the system,” but we don’t legally let them work for 6 whole months after they’ve completed their paperwork, which can take up to a year itself.

4 Likes

Don’t forget the esoteric simultaneous truths of believing St. Hayek about the price of tampering with ‘natural’ unemployment being punishable by super-inflation; and believing that any of the actually unemployed are mere degenerates, unrelated to this ‘natural’ state.

2 Likes

…and the assumption that the current bout of “inflation” is anything other than corporate greed and price-gouging, so only those at the top are benefitting from this so-called “economic growth”…

4 Likes

… instead of the Fed tweaking interest rates maybe there should be appointed technocrats tweaking federal tax rates every month to keep inflation and unemployment where they want them :thinking:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.