U.S. opens criminal investigation into Panama Papers over tax avoidance claims

[Read the post]

Tax avoidance =/= tax evasion.

1 Like

Only the poor and middle class in the USAint pay taxes. Yes, I meant to put USAint there.

1 Like

You can’t hold a criminal investigation over tax avoidance. Because tax avoidance is by definition legal. If it’s illegal, then it’s tax evasion.

1 Like

Just cause it’s legal doesn’t make it right. But then the 1% don’t seem to have morals anyhow so they don’t know any better.

Do you deduct your mortgage interest? That’s tax avoidance. Is it wrong?

*Does not apply if you pay rent, or are not a US resident.

Maybe now the ICIJ will stop being gatekeeping arseholes with that data?

Don’t have a mortgage, but I see what you are getting at. Now if I tried the stuff the 1% uses to avoid taxes, I would be chucked in jail mainly due to me not being rich.

2 Likes

I imagine they’re investigating to see if the line was crossed into evasion.

2 Likes

Well, we know what the outcome will be, regardless. If it turns out to have been tax evasion, amazingly, just before the investigation officially submits its findings, a law will be passed that will make it just plain old tax avoidance instead–grandfathered, of course. It’ll probably even get fast-tracked through Congress as a stand-alone bill, with no riders, especially if they can keep Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders away from it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.