Uber says 3,045 sexual assaults involving drivers and passengers reported in U.S. rides last year

Back when Uber first went live I used taxis multiple times per week here in Seattle. Uber cars were clean while taxis were not. Taxis might take hours to arrive, Uber arrived in minutes. Taxi dispatchers were rude and aggressive and often difficult to understand due to linguistic differences, Uber had a simple button with no screaming and cursing dispatcher.

The difference in service was immense back then. And I think it showed what was possible.

But in time we have all learned what a shit company they are. The good service wasn’t the goal, it was just a means to take over an industry. They don’t care about their drivers or their customers.

I took the effort to have myself deleted from their system several years ago. I now walk, bus or drive myself with Car2Go (just renamed to Share Now). I do still occasionally use Lyft to get to the airport for departing flights.

3 Likes

You’re missing the message that UBER BAD.

Its corollary is that old fashioned taxicabs are and always have been clean, safe, reliable and they always come when you call.

Oh, and the drivers who leased those million dollar taxi medallions were well paid, with good benefits and happy families.

Yes, I cosign this and also came here to post a Public Service Announcement that women and girls are most likely to be sexually assaulted by someone known to them. Largely, women and girls are less safe in their homes than out on the streets. (For men, it is the opposite.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.