UK election official turns own car into polling station after person responsible for opening actual polling place oversleeps

Originally published at: UK election official turns own car into polling station after person responsible for opening actual polling place oversleeps | Boing Boing

3 Likes

They don’t have Cyber Ninjas in the UK?

3 Likes

This was in one of the richest parts of Oxford too. Lots of Lib Dem voters, but the Labour voters who won them the ward in previous years are mostly students who are unlikely to be reacting well to Labour’s current pound shop Tory antics.

I don’t expect Oxford to actually get a Tory city councillor, if they do then Labour and the Lib Dems have performed so badly that resignation won’t be enough for Keir Starmer (Ed Davey is so invisible as Lib Dem leader that no-one would notice if he stays or goes). I am sure he is familiar with what happened to Ramsay Macdonald.

10 Likes

setting up a polling station in the boot of his car
ftfy

13 Likes

If this happened in the US Republican heads would implode.

8 Likes

Oversleeping? Where’s the knocker-up man? Did he oversleep, too?

5 Likes

Completely off-topic, but the word warden (cognate with guardian) makes me think of the fact that I am currently listening to and enjoying the History of English podcast, which is great. Lots of history mixed with linguistics and etymology so if that’s your kind of thing I recommend it.

https://historyofenglishpodcast.com

2 Likes

Good for improvising, but that looks sketchy as fuck.

1 Like

Came here for this, thank you.

1 Like

…it would be because the GOP tied up the church warden in his basement something something voting fraud prevention.

11 Likes

It is reassuring that they have, erm… “fault tolerant” procedures in place and have codified people’s makeshift solutions.

3 Likes

But where do the dogs wait?

1 Like

Then the republicans would challenge the votes cast and try to get them thrown out, despite authorizing the “Car Boot Procedure” in law before the election?

3 Likes

if this happened, it would be US Republicans “just doing what everyone [no one] else is doing”, and going to Democratic strongholds to cull and destroy votes.

1 Like

Y’see, voting can take place anywhere at any time, it doesn’t need to be as difficult as you all have it over there. I read with horror the stories of people waiting in line for hours and hours when today i was in and out of my polling place within minutes. I do know it’s as a result of decades of voter suppression by the GQP so i hope one day you get to have your own boot/trunk polling places!

5 Likes

Depending upon the state, based on recently-passed Republican legislation, the person doing this would be arrested and in danger of going to prison for 5 years. For helping people to exercise their constitutional right.

3 Likes

I voted yesterday, most polling places in the uk are schools or churches, we have lots of them, and little user for ether at times.

I went straight home from work and was the only person in my polling place at 430, some one went in as i was walking out the car park, but unlike the usa that try to get 100 million people to que for 10 hours to vote in one place, in the uk, Instead we have I dont know must be a polling station for every 1000 people, so polling is quick, the longest que i have ever been in was 20 people.

4 Likes

I did this when manning a polling station twenty years ago when the village hall keeper overslept. It’s quite safe as long as the voter isn’t overlooked while marking their cross.

2 Likes

Oh, no, in the USA it’s like that too, as long as you’re in a primarily Republican area…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.