UK governmet spent a fortune fighting to keep the number 13 a secret

[Read the post]

1 Like

You may scoff, but think of the damage to national security if that number had been seventeen, or even eleven. Incalculable!

6 Likes

Likewise, how do we even know that’s a decimal 13? What if it’s hex and they actually met 19 times??!!

5 Likes

So instead of asking why the minister stonewalled for so long about the number meetings, instead they’re planning changes to FOIA requests? Um. Yeah, but. Uh. That’s really quite stupid.

Also, @doctorow, pal, it’s spelled “gubmint”, please change your headline appropriately.

3 Likes

What if it’s base 4, and they actually met 7 times?

5 Likes

But Tories have our best interests at heart, I mean if there isn’t a FOI act the government gets to save millions because they don’t have to mount spurious defences such as this, or waste any time explaining what they’re doing to plebs like me (As well as reducing the time they have to spend with those Bolsheviks Broadcasting Communism types when there’s a garden party with that nice Mr Murdoch in Chipping Norton they could be snorting the old devil’s marching powder at.

I’d much rather they spent their precious time protecting tax breaks for their buddies, ripping internet security to shreds (If you want something encrypted you must be hiding something amirite?), asset stripping the country and traducing our reputation around the world, I mean, isn’t that why they got into government in the first place…

4 Likes

You must be thinking of the American Republican Party.

They are depressingly interchangeable, but at least we’ve got some old castles, which is nice I suppose…

7 Likes

In the meantime, how much it cost in legal fees to refuse my request for three years will be the subject of my next FOI request.

I love this guy.

7 Likes

This is pretty much SOP with the British bureaucracy. A local council spent a fortune on legal fees trying to stop a blogger who kept reporting accurately on council meetings. Almost invariably the object is either to cover up how little work is being done by some organisation, or how much people are being paid for doing so little work.

Our political class is now about as corrupt as it can get, in all parties, which is why the Labour Party is so terrified of Corbyn - who is trying to introduce democracy.

3 Likes

HEEESS SOOO DDRREEEEEAAAMMMYYYYYY

1 Like

No, I don’t think he’s the Saviour (or even a very naughty boy). I think he is finding things difficult and his job is deliberately being sabotaged by the media, including the BBC. Part of the reason for that is that journalists have contacts with the senior MPs that they value, and so will to a degree do what they are told to maintain access to those contacts.
Corbyn does not have a constituency in Parliament, a cadre to extend his influence. He’s going to lose. But on the way he has accidentally exposed the rottenness at the core - people like Danczuk, Doughty and Phillips who seem far more interested in developing future careers in the media than in benefiting the country. We’ve already seen the long term damage done by the property developers and “consultants” like Blair and Blunkett.

1 Like

First, apologies are in order given that I’m not…as my old Kiwi friends would cheerfully say…a POM, just another ignorant 'merican whose dazed and confused mind, when confronted with the moniker, “Corbyn”, went immediately to this:

…which as ANYONE who is ANYONE would know is incorrect, given that scene portrayed our man Bruce Willis as “Korben Dallas” with a “K” and such, and certainly not some fine democratic bastion with a first name of Corbyn and hailing from that fine old country (and with which I am personally, genetically, linked–perhaps to your chagrin by this point in the convo).

At the very least on my part, I can wonder about my own state’s governor, who is/was a property developer and who’s recent proposals for change have been met with mixed success. As to politicians developing future careers in the MSM or lame street media or whatever moniker tends to whet your snarkily rhetorical whistle, it’s entirely possible 'merica has the leg up on our previous colonial overlords.*

*he said, dumping tea into the nearest harbor and glaring, eyebrows furrowed like a farmer’s field, into the camera.

What? I have relatives all over the US. Some are the descendants of the first Mormons (now that is something to be embarrassed about.) Working for US companies accounts for a solid part of my pension funds (not invested in the US, though.)

The main difference between our crazies and your crazies is that yours tend to be better at social media while ours are pretty bad at it. Mind you, you have more PR companies per square foot than we do, and you don’t suffer from our national tendency to mild depression caused by our weather. But the old saying that when the US catches a cold, England catches influenza, has a lot of truth in it.

I thought that the reality of that incident was rather different from the myth. Although the issues of representation and self government were entirely legitimate (and supported by many people in England over the German king) the Boston Tea Party was actually about smugglers being undercut by legitimate traders. Good Americans anxious for a politically clean government would surely support the independence movement but oppose the action of smugglers. Or am I being naive?

1 Like

Jess Phillips? She seems okay to me from what I’ve seen. I like that she speaks her mind (and I like Corbyn, although I think he’s on a hiding to nothing in a neoliberal Parliamentary Labour Party - he should have put Dennis Skinner in the Shadow Cabinet)

Definitely an improvement on the previous MP for that area (when I lived there).

She seems determined to provide the media with soundbites intended to get noticed. Put her up against Mhairi Black, who speaks to present reasoned arguments, and I think she’d be flattened.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.