UK police to scan the fingerprints of anyone unable to present identification

I suggested York as the source of confusion. Probably Leeds, my guess.

Still wouldn’t call West Yorkshire northeast region of England though!!!

Northeast England is in the neighborhood of Newcastle!

1 Like

Like GCHQ?

4 Likes

The mantra of those who are likely privileged, submissive, or both.

6 Likes

You must be White, male, and not terribly poor.

People without such privilege know better.

Jinx.

6 Likes

I agree, as would anyone from Yorkshire.

The big argument is whether Carlisle/North Cumbria/Cumberland is part of the North East. Culturally it is, and I remember a lot of people on both sides of the Pennines being angry when it was put in the North West with Lancashire who haven’t really cared about Cumbria in recent history.

2 Likes

Darn red roses.

1 Like

As someone who lives near the south coast, Coventry is in the north east, anything to do with Yorkshire is the far north east and beyond that is Scotland, right?

1 Like

Whilst almost true, the circumstances under which you are obliged to give the police your name and address are fairly extensive and getting more so. In addition, while you may not be obliged to answer their question - if you do and you lie, you are getting yourself in trouble.

More relevantly, you are not obliged to have any form of identification papers. As a corollary of that, many people don’t have any form of ID.

Deciding to fingerprint people who don’t have ID is therefore a step further than one might think if one comes from a country where carrying ID is normal.

The article is basically saying that the police are proposing that they should be able to fingerprint anyone going about their lawful business. My understanding is that they have been entitled to do that for a long time but because it used to mean dragging you down the nick to be fingerprinted, there was some incentive for the police not to simply randomly fingerprint every ‘suspect’. Given the new technology, this will clearly no longer be the case.

Once your fingerprints are in the system under the name Michael Mouse, then (even assuming they don’t do you for wasting police time, obstructing the police in their enquiries or any of the other numerous catch-all offences in their armoury), the next time you are stopped and fingerprinted, there your prints will be - even if you tell them that you are Donald Duck.

At that point they may not know who you are but you can bet you won’t be going anywhere for a while.

2 Likes

north-sign-012
I alway laugh every time I see something like this.

2 Likes

Well it’s not the fooking midlands!

2 Likes

I thought it was “anywhere South of Middlesbrough is Down South”?

3 Likes

Allrighty, then.
Please PM me your bank details.

3 Likes

Who needs due process, right? /s

1 Like

Are those cops trying to share a urinal?

It looks like a human barricade, although I was taught to do it differently when I was working crowd control at football matches. I don’t know if it is more stable than arms linked, alternating one person facing forwards, one facing backwards, but the cops have more people than we did.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.