London police arrest man who covered face during public facial recognition trials

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/15/london-police-arrest-man-who-c.html

6 Likes

London / UK should cover its face.

19 Likes

‘What the hell are you doing here?’ said Sergeant Gilks, wearily.
‘I am here,’ said Dirk, ‘in pursuit of justice.’
‘Well, I wouldn’t mix with me then,’ said Gilks, ‘and I certainly wouldn’t mix with the Met.’

16 Likes

San Francisco votes no to facial-recognition tech for cops, govt – while its denizens create it

18 Likes

“My religion requires me to wear this ceremonial face paint at all times in public to avoid the daemons the megician Maxwell unleashed.”

27 Likes

Face Toupees - Function and Fashion. Wave of the future. You heard it here first.

7 Likes

14 Likes

If you’re not allowed to cover your face, have someone else do it for you.

1 Like

Ironic yet poignant.

Many of my friends from the UK don’t mind the surveillance. Many were directly affected by IRA bombing and they wholeheartedly accept surveillance for the common good. There is a cohesive national culture that lends itself to accept surveillance.

As an American I find technology like this abhorrent.

2 Likes

stock-photo-british-sad-man-after-great-britain-exit-from-europe-union-442034743

4 Likes

I’m feeling so much safer!

9 Likes

If you get arrested on the basis of a false positive, I wonder how hard it is to get yourself released?

1 Like

The London cops are trying their hardest to make Cyperpunk fashion actually happen.

10 Likes

Looks eerily like our Merkkkan ‘presidnyet’?
Top half quite strongly!

I’d like to see his long form birth certificate (and ten years of tax returns) please.
Let’s see, hmmm, here it is: half werewolf. Huh. And the other half is ((unpronounceable abomination)). Well at least that checks out.

Here in the States, I’m seeing more and more people wearing full face shields (I call them welding masks), the ones that are darkened, supposedly to prevent UV damage to their face skin. You can’t see through them at all, and maybe the cameras can’t either. Like this:

BTW, at 6:08 in the video, the Covert & Intelligence Lead of the Met that’s being interviewed, his name is Ivan Balhatchet. Ball Hatchet? Really? Wow, and check this out… He reports to Duncan Ball, in Met Operations.

Is this for real? You can’t make this stuff up!

9 Likes

That there’s Fedor - aka Jo Jo:

5 Likes

Almost impossible from what I’ve heard.

2 Likes

“TOTAL POLICING”

Well that isn’t ominous and Orwellian at all, is it? I hear other countries put “To Protect and Serve” on their police vehicles

4 Likes

“covering your face is grounds for reasonable suspicion.”

All surveillance suffers from the same problem of there is absolutely no way to distinguish between someone who doesn’t want to be identified for privacy reasons, and someone who doesn’t want to be identified for nefarious reasons.

Appropriately enough, I’m currently reading “Little Brother” again. Aside from Cory using some extremely problematic language (black tranny hooker? really???) and dedicating a chapter to Amazon (we all know how much love he has for them these days…) it has remained fairly relevant.

1 Like

The thing about the UK is the terrorists are white like the non-terrorists. In America you just put all the brown people in that category.

What’s that? Most acts of terrorism have been carried out by white Americans but not labeled as such? Doesn’t matter. Brown people bad.

At least the UK is honest about the fact that a terrorist is most likely going to look just like a normal person, so they have to watch everyone.

1 Like