UK Sunday paper won't review books marketed "to exclude either sex"

I think those are exactly the type of book this is intended for. Probably drivel like these two too.

2 Likes

I imagine those are exactly the sort of nonsense they mean to stop reviewing. The Dangerous Book For Boys is full of flint knapping and fire starting. The Daring Book For Girls (it’s daring, not dangerous) is full of slumber party games and hairdos.

8 Likes

Gee, Betty! Wow come your mom lets you have two rackets?

Circular logic is circular.

er . . . no.

From the article: “[The publishers who voluntarily decided to adhere to this campaign] agreed that they will no longer publish books specifically titled “for boys” or “for girls””. So, unless your pet book there is Navigating Menopause for Girls or Prostate Cancer for Boys (or vice versa), I think you can dial down the concern. It was rather clear in both Corey’s piece and the original article that they’re talking about children’s books.

Seriously, why is it so important to so many readers that a book say in its title who is supposed to read it? Is this the lousy legacy of too many years of “(insert skill set here) for Dummies” that we no longer dare to dream of just putting the title and letting people decide whether it’s pertintent to them?

If you all are so certain that sex-differenced books are still relevant, why not lay off the kids and start off with an adult book called Listening for Dudes, where you could finally hear all those girls and women who keep stating that gender differentiation most often leaves them with the short end of the stick.

3 Likes

Just “either sex”? What about books that exclude all sex? What about books that exclude no sex?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.