Ukraine tour company markets invites visitors to "see our destroyed cities and brave people fighting"

Originally published at: Ukraine tour company markets invites visitors to "see our destroyed cities and brave people fighting" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

You can even bring home your own shrapnel souvenir /s

Just donate to the red cross or something instead of making yourself a gross leering war tourist

5 Likes

There were picnic parties set up on the edges of civil war battlefields so the gentry could watch their brave soldiers drive off the union.

5 Likes

Conflict zone tourism is a bad idea however you look at it.

That was a very different kind of war, with pitched battles and limited-range artillery and no bomber aircraft. The only thing that’s carried over (past the 20th century era of total war) is that we’re back to a time when bombers aren’t really used.

The odd thing to now is that a lot of people are able to go about their daily peacetime lives as if nothing is happening once the front or battlefields have moved 50+ miles away. I’ve heard this about Kiev and also about Damascus.

5 Likes

I’m not sure how I feel about this.

1 Like

Koffee With Karan Bollywood GIF

3 Likes

“see our destroyed cities and brave people fighting”

Reminds me of this scene in FMJ.

2 Likes

And personal weapons with a much more limited range. A Springfield model 1861 could damage a person up to a kilometer away. An M-16 or an AK-47 can kill someone at more than twice that distance.

1 Like

Yeah bullets can travel that far if shot in an extreme parabola. But I’d be way more worried about an errant (or in the Russian’s case, intentional) artillery shell. Getting hit with small arms fire that far away would be very very bad luck.

1 Like

I would love to visit Ukraine, but war tourism is a no. I’ll wait until the Russian forces pull out. Fingers crossed for next year!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.