Umberto Eco, 1932-2016

Tom Mullica died two days ago. I think I need a smoke.

5 Likes

Iā€™d like this if I could. Iā€™ve got a six hour hold on likes at the moment.

3 Likes

Except for Illuminatus!, which is more exuberant but less disciplined (and obviously involved a lot more drugs in its creation).

Iā€™ve still got my copy of Illuminatus!, but I think my ex must have thrown out my copy of Pendulum. Dammit, now would be the perfect time for a re-read.

Ā£4.95 on Kindle. Hmmm ā€¦

4 Likes

Last summer I found myself in a hotel and it was raining. I was so bored I actually read The Da Vinci Code. I can only say that your analysis is far too kind to it.

Foucaultā€™s Pendulum isnā€™t just a satire on occultists and conspiracy theorists - it explains vanity publishing and has insights into how political corruption works in Italy. And The Name of the Rose isnā€™t just a late mediaeval detective story - it explains the church and state politics of a complicated era in Italy, and provides an intellectually convincing look at life in a monastery, even if itā€™s a monastery with an extension designed by Borges. I guess both books have the same problem as Ulysses - they have such a reputation they may put people off (yet Ulysses is one of the funniest books ever written. Take it steadily with a copy of The Bloomsday Book to help with the Irish side.)

I read Travels in Hyperreality around the time I was frequently travelling to the US on business, and it made much clear to me that I hadnā€™t understood. I think itā€™s still worth reading though electronics has made some of the things he discusses rather out of date. Some of his essays - especially the one on the difference between US and Chinese cartoon strips - are also very illuminating. My disappointment is the English translation of Misreadings, where the translator seems to me to have a bit of a tin ear for the jokes as written down in English. Since Giovanni Guareschi - who wrote about violent events in the Po valley in an extremely flat, affectless style which was actually very artistic, and whose translator managed to achieve the same in English - a number of translators of Italian books seem to think thatā€™s how Italian should be translated.
The translator of The Name of the Rose makes a few annoying minor errors too that Eco didnā€™t, like confusing monks and friars. But otherwise itā€™s a superb translation.

5 Likes

7 Likes

His semiotics writings open doors in the mind and are enormous fun too.
Always loved his essay on Casablanca, ā€œThe clichĆ©s are having a ball.ā€

1 Like

Murdoch, hopefully.

6 Likes

Well, the hounds of spring will be on winterā€™s traces, for one thing.
Soā€¦any elderly poets weā€™re worried about?

You are assuming heā€™s alive, and not a mechatronic device.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never found an American who has read TiH who disagrees with Eco on this.
European recreations tend to be either as accurate as possible - Deutsches Museum, Beamish - or a little bit shit. Which is also accurate, because Iā€™ve lived long enough to know that with hindsight the past is a liitle bit shit. Or, in some periods, very shit indeed.
Whether Eco has been translated into Chinese or not I donā€™t know, but apparently there is a whole town in China that is a recreation of Birmingham, England, complete with canals and mock Tudor houses. Which is funny, because most English people regard Birminghamā€™s main virtue as being surrounded by motorways so you donā€™t actually need to go near it.

3 Likes

He was just being a European intellectual. People who donā€™t spend all their time on the lecture circuit or TV actually have time to read, think and write. He was also satirising people who read crazy books obsessively.

6 Likes

His 1994 column on the religious wars among DOS, Windows, and the Mac OS (with machine language thrown in too) is hilarious, if now a bit dated. Google it! (Hint: the Mac is Catholic, DOS is Calvinistic, Windows is Anglican and machine language is talmudic.)

6 Likes

It is a sad day for semiotics.

9 Likes

Foucaultā€™s Pendulum at least is completely un-filmable. Too much of it would be lost in the conversion to the screen - just look at what happened to The Name of the Rose, which was a lot more filmable a book (although, granted, the movie could have done a much better job of it). So many ideas, so much history. Dan Brown, on the other hand, is the kind of writer who doesnā€™t put anything on the page that canā€™t be converted into a screenplay without losing anything (because thereā€™s nothing much of substance to be lost in the first place).

And itā€™s about more than that, even. Thereā€™s so much going on in that book. Brownā€™s work seems to be inspired by the most superficial reading possible of Pendulum, totally missing the point of it, and whereas Ecoā€™s work is about so many things, Brownā€™s is ultimately about nothing.
Reading Eco inspired me to try to teach myself Latin (itā€™s, er, going very slowly). I wonder if I should teach myself Italian to read some of it in the originalā€¦

3 Likes

What does that signify, precisely?

Omnis mundi creatura
quasi liber et pictura
nobis est in speculum
-which I think could be called Ecoā€™s creed.

2 Likes

Given the era in which it was written and Ecoā€™s preferred medium, writing, I think we can assume that if Eco had wanted to write a screenplay he would have done so.
I also object to Austen films on the same grounds - she lived in Bath, had she wanted to write a play producers would have queued up.
The film industry needs to stop adapting books and write its own damn plots that suit the medium.
[edit - Iā€™m agreeing with you, I think.]

Ah, so something like Foucaultā€™s Pendulum and Frankenstein or Foucaultā€™s Pendulum and Ponies, perhaps?

2 Likes

G-d fucking dammit!

apparently he has switch from musicians to authors

1 Like

It also explores medieval philosophy, the semiotics of the Apocalypse, and post-modernist theory. And itā€™s fun! The book The Key to ā€œThe Name of the Roseā€ is a handy guide for the perplexed.

(Note to readers: if you make past the chapter where the main character admires the church door itā€™s pretty smooth sailing.)

2 Likes

(Totally untrue)

4 Likes

I was trying not to put off potential readers too much.

From the sublime to the obnoxious, anybody who thinks that apocalyptic semiotics arenā€™t interesting is obviously not following Trump.

6 Likes